Red spots in nucleation

Just had someone send this pic back to us. Nucleation issue with the strain “Citrique”. But never in any nucleation have I seen discolouring. Seems to me it can only be oxidizing some molecule or something. I’ve heard lemony strains were a problem somewhere on this site before.
Before I was having an issue with pull snap vs. snappy “stable”. That was more or less solved with drying material with rechargeable silica bead canisters for gun safes in airtight bins, after dried to relative humidity of the room. Also a full four day purge. Before I increased to 112 hour purge, never had issues with nucleation but rarely snappy. Now with 112 hours nucleation is being an issue often. Now this. Any opinions? :frowning:

1 Like

Use b80 and run dry ice cold everything…it’ll fix all ur issues

Then heat oven to 85-90…let slab heat up pull full vac , close it off…wait till bubbles to stop, after flip it for another vac pull wait for those bubbles to down usually 12hrs each flip…by the 3rd flip mines usually so glass like it’s not even funny.

Yeah and don’t strip to much color or I’ll have oxidizing issues

1 Like

oxidizing seems to line up

credits to @Photon_noir for the picture above

7 Likes

To add details : I use b81 silica 60 magnesol and I freeze column, filter plates, crc, and tane in deep freezer for till -20 -30c. I use to flip. Now just left alone under vac for the whole time. I’d shock a bit of the vac off to pop the bubbles then turn on vac pump to pull up next set of bubbles. Once or a few times while I’m around oven. I felt that I was just exposing too much ambient moisture even with a air drying set up for air in to oven cause I don’t want to pay for nitrogen for oven too with the pressure tests and pushes. Maybe I’ll try flipping again, but you only purge for 36 hours?

1 Like

Is the slab almost colorless…if so anytime an extract or disty is water clear or almost it deals w a purity oxidizing issues usually due to ph

2 Likes

I had some clear winterized that went pink in ethanol and then chilled out once purged. When I posted about that pink colour, someone said it was the magnesol that changed the ph to do that. Would anyone second this notion? Also curious now what the average ph is for extract before any powders.

What’s your oven temp at? Could be too much heat for to long. Also could be a moisture problem, either in the air or in your gas. The only time I have had nucleation problems in shatter it was due to prolonged time in the oven at too high of a temp or it was moisture. As for color, the nucleated parts are always a shade darker than the slab. Hope this helps.

Look into thin film evaporation. You’re going to want to flip, at least once. Well, technically you only need once.

4 Likes