RECYCLING Spent Biomass with a Hemp/Wood Pellet Manufacturing Machine

I had someone looking to buy spent biomass (reason unknown ) for .10/lb, 10k lbs,

1 Like

Mighta been raising Earthworms!

Im interested.

THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKIN BOUT WILLIS! Charge em to drop it off at the ole farm, then sell it back to em for $44.99 a pound, might be able to sell it a little cheaper at $44.95 a lb. That’s a Business Plan! THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT CONTRIBUTED and a special shout out to Estokha about the Special Horse Feed!!

2 Likes

Location?

Honolulu, Hawaii, Diamond Head right outside Waikiki bring it over and drop it off!

1 Like

Thats a ways for me, I’m just east of Denver

8 advantages of implementing a biomass heating system into your business

With an abundance of environmental legislation and net-zero carbon emissions targets, biomass heating systems are becoming increasingly popular in the horticultural industry.…

1 Like

biomass pellets burn really dirty from our experience.

1 Like

We have been experimenting pelletizing mash and stalks as well.

The pellets burn pretty dirty

The steers love them as well as the mash.

Will keep the group updated.

1 Like

ACTUALLY Hemp pellets produce around 2% ash and can be used in a large range of pellet burners currently on the market today. Hemp is less corrosive to burn than wood pellets, creates less ash, and always has the same high quality as what you find in premium grade wood pellets.

1 Like

Not sure what the deal is then, but like Mrozmary said, we ran biomass pellets in a pellet burner and they left noticeably more ash than wood pellets.

1 Like

@Estokha, I suggested that @DriftlessOil look seriously at implementing a pellet burner for ethanol recovery.

your word choice suggested you tried spent biomass pellets and moved on.

is this a route you would advise against?

1 Like

I wouldn’t rule it out, shoveling ash is much more cost effective than a 30KW tankless water heater.

Edit: I’m not sure the cost of buying pelleting equipment and learning to dial it in is worth it however. Long term, sure. Short term, there’s a lot of financial and time factors to consider.

Game plan was to get it running on wood pellets, then talk to the guys at the local sawmill about the machine they’re running…although maybe talking to them first makes more sense.

sawdust is significantly easier to pelletize, and also not too terribly expensive to buy already pelletized.

Curious why this is, or if it’s just perception?

I personally suspect that just like extraction it’s a learning curve thing, people have been pelletizing sawdust for a long time and turnkey sawdust pelletizing production lines are readily available from multiple sellers.

We didn’t have much difficulty pelletizing shredded hemp material as long as we added the right amount of water, I suspect with a steam conditioner and moisture monitoring system you could pretty much automate that on a larger scale.

Very true. Its definitely doable, i just dont know if the capital and r&d costs are worth it.

What about compressing it into bricks, sterilize and inoculate with fungus for growing mushrooms on it? Medicinal, gourmet or even psychedelic are becoming legal now too. Who would be upset about cubensis grown on cannabis?? I’d eat the hell out of them​:mushroom::grin:

4 Likes