RECYCLING Spent Biomass with a Hemp/Wood Pellet Manufacturing Machine

Sounds like the Business Plan may have to be similar to recycling used tires you have to charge a nominal fee to take it.

The benefit is you are providing a needed service to the cannabis/hemp industry and as a result you receive your manufacturing material either free of charge OR they pay you to take it unlike wood chips.

Well, hemp pellets, unlike other none woody biomass fuel pellets, produce only around 2% ash content. Therefore hemp pellets can be used in a much larger range of pellet stoves and boilers currently on the market today. Another advantage is that hemp pellets are no more corrosive to burn than wood pellets. This is not the case with fuel pellets made from straw, miscanthus and switchgrass. Finally, hemp pellets do not produce clinker formations as the ash melting temperature of hemp is similar to wood. Link PelHeat.com - Pellet Grill/Smoker Encyclopedia Rocky Mountain, I’m looking forward to receiving that CBD. Thanks Again, Ken

2 Likes

Cattle choose to browse for two reasons. They are starving because the management of the land was shitty, or the pastures they are grazing are deficient in some trace nutrient that they get from the shrubs.

Cattle, and all ruminating animals, evolved in land suitable for little other than grassy savanna. Forcing them to eat random shit, like hemp, is a bandaid for poor management.

3 Likes

I agree forcing them to eat hemp is a bad idea. Consider for a moment when given plenty of alternatives (alfalfa, grass, buckwheat, scrub oak, etc…)my cattle happily dig spent bio out of bulk sacks and then proceed to run playfully around the field. That is till nap time inevitably comes. I think you may be giving cattle less credit than they deserve. Young longhorns btw.

https://onpasture.com/2017/08/28/cattle-can-be-good-brush-managers/

Exactly, we need to work against this “force feed” mentality with cattle as it has done nothing but harm our environment.

Our experience is that steers love hemp and exhibit no visible health problems. Granted, we only feed them pelletized biomass as a an additive and not as a primary food source.

Mine browse on occasion as well, less when my management is better in sink with my pasture growth patterns. And I’ve used them to establish new pastures as well. A hungry cow will eat lots of things.

2 Likes

My experience with pelletizing biomass is that some amount of water needs to be added with dry, pre-extracted biomass in order to get the pellets to bind properly, and it needs to be mixed in well before the biomass gets exposed to the pellet die. Spent biomass you need to add even more water to get it to bind properly, this is why the big commercial pelletizing systems have steam generators and automated moisture management systems to get the right moisture content in the incoming stream of material.

In our case we then had to dry out the pellets (by spreading them out on a tarp and having multiple fans moving air over them) before extraction was possible and it still added more moisture to our process than I was comfortable with. I imagine if you’re producing pellets to burn you would probably want to run a dehumidifier wherever you are storing the pelletized material so you don’t have issues with wet pellets or fermentation/mold.

@Rockymtn24 I have an 8" 10 HP feed pelletizer from pelletmasters, have a guy who is going to try it out and potentially buy but if he doesn’t end up taking it you can probably save a few bucks versus buying a new one plus the dies are already conditioned well. Has 3, 4 and 6MM diameter dies, I fixed the spacing on the rollers with a couple of custom ground washers and a power cord I would include, I think it cost us about $3300 after freight. Would let it go for $2700 if this other guy doesn’t take it. Located in Strasburg CO.

1 Like

I took issue with “forced” not hemp as feed. I make hemp available to my herd also and they are happier for it.

3 Likes

If you give em free choice to it, then that’s great. Personally, I see it as a sign of some sort of pasture/management deficiency in my herd when they start browsing

2 Likes

With the inbred and highly domesticated livestock that are common today im sure thats more true than the basically feral livestock that have adapted to my climate. Pasture here in socal is very different than northern grasslands.

2 Likes

Wanted to underatand more about the efficiency of using hemp in pellet furnaces. I did a google search and it is already in action. Here is a machine for you:

I’ve been researching this idea myself… Pellets aren’t the way to go and that machine looks crazy expensive compared to other options.

Yes very expensive looking and probably take years to recover investment at the low costs wood pellets sell for but a processing plant would be required, correct?

What is your best way to go then?

I don’t see why it couldn’t be done on the farm… I’m in the early stages of figuring out production speeds and equipment but hit a snag in life recently and possibly putting this idea on hold for the time being.

I need these Hemp Carbon Super Capacitors for my flux capacitor, naturally that would the best and highest endeavour for hemp waste

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Hemp+carbon+fiber&btnG=

3 Likes

Super interesting.

Then it wasn’t written by a biologist.

Corn is a grass. Hemp is not.