Recovery Speed problems

Would Thawed out fresh frozen cause problems when trying to recover solvent and having extra pressure in collection? Also when I lower temp in Collection recovery returns to normal.

If the pressure on the solvent tank is greater than that of the collection, you will have problems. If so, reduce pressure in solvent tank by bleeding out the pressure safely.

If not injecting, I like my solvent tank to be at zero psi. Dropping the solvent tank in dry ice should reduce its pressure(if you don’t have a jackets tank).

4 Likes

a slurry with dry ice and isopropyl or everclear could help.

2 Likes
  • Yes, I know about the cost of Everclear and there’s cheaper shit out there but 91% Isopropyl or Everclear seems to have always worked the best for me so I am just giving out from experience what may help bring the collection pot down in pressure

double checking what you’re calling your “collection”?

would “where your hash collects” define it?
It does for some. Not all. because: cannabis!

FWIW: Luna calls that bit their “distillation column” :man_shrugging:
(see: It puts the Cannabis in the tube, & then it walks away again).

both @Swet254k @GroovyOctopusLabs seem (to me) to be assuming you mean “the tank in which your recovered solvent collects”.

In which case their responses are spot on.
if that’s NOT what you mean, we need to explore further.

thawed fresh frozen == water which can cause problems when you make ice with it.

more heat to your evaporator should speed recovery (increased pressure). as should more cold on your target solvent tank. if that isn’t what you see, then a pressure sensitive blockage between your evaporator & solvent tank might explain it. not sure how you cause one of those with ice, but I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

what you got between your evaporator and your solvent tank?
pictures?

is this today’s run only?
or have you seen this before?!?

4 Likes

He may need open sleeved dry ice columns and nitrogen.

Nitrogen seems to be key to getting shit unstuck sometimes.

And if it’s the material thawing out he needs a open sleeved column for dry ice.

maybe. sort of depends on the exact meaning of

if the “problem” is actually a slow down in solvent making it to the solvent tank (my assumption from description), then “fresh frozen” may or may not be a red herring.

yes, cooling the column will reduce thawing of biomass, but we’ve first got to establish how higher pressure in collection would lead to slower recovery before we try and link that slow down to thawing biomass imo.

not saying that a method for keeping the frozen frozen isn’t a valid response, just that the symptoms as described don’t add up yet.

if higher pressure SLOWS recovery, how does adding N2 solve?

4 Likes

It’s been happening for the past week. After running a couple big batches of fresh frozen I had noticed the next week after coming in the recovery issue. I’m thinking it has to do with moisture build up in chiller fluid(I could visually see today). I run a Huber for my chiller and don’t have exact model numbers or pictures to give ya until I get back to the lab Monday. Appreciate the very helpful and descriptive response! I will get back to ya

I’ll do my normal procedure for my run and as soon as I start to push my solvent/wax into collection with nitro I notice pressure on collection raises more rapid than usual to the point where I just have been unplugging warm bath to lower pressure to push with less resistance. Then I’ll go to recovery mode and it takes forever. I have to assume it’s water/moisture in chiller lines causing blockage but wasn’t sure

How often do you change out your mole sieve?

1 Like

When you say “chiller lines”, what exactly are you referring to?

Moisture in your chiller FLUID, should not be a problem until you get so much in there you can see the fluid turning to slush. It does happen, and if it does you would be getting less fluid circulation which would slow recovery. It’s possible, but seems unlikely. Certainly would not be caused by your biomass thawing

Do you perhaps mean the solvent lines between your collection and solvent tank? I assume you are using a coil?

Water in your SOLVENT can absolutely cause blockage in your cooling coils or the solvent lines leading to or fro

4 Likes

Every other day

I live in a humid state and I know my chiller has got to be the issue. You’re right about possibility of water in solvent but I’ve seen that slushy form you’re talking about in chiller fluid the last time I checked. I just wasn’t 100% sure and took someone else’s advice on not fixing the problem asap and now realize it’s absolutely miserable recovering like that.

1 Like

Yes i am using a coil with dry ice and iso and I haven’t encountered this problem and have been running a lot of Fresh frozen lately. Figured that wasn’t the case but wanted to be sure

that’ll do it…

wrong tool for the job. try this one instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer-concentration-Hamh-Optics-Tools/dp/B073Q2LSG9

use the appropriate chart to figure out the correct glycol/water ratio for your desired temp.

see: glycol ratio chart - Google Search

3 Likes

what is the chiller doing then?

4 Likes

you read my mind and thank you!

not its job lol

He is asking what your chiller is chilling since you are also using dry ice and coils.

2 Likes

thank you i was gonna edit my post because I realized what he meant also trying to run at the same time. Its cooling my solvent tank