Recovering into half full tank?

With my 25# tank in slurry, and possible residual solvent, i would need a pump that suitable for that, and guessing only pull -10hg or so?

2 Likes

@Unicorn_Theory1 My first couple rounds I used an explosion proof vacuum pump. A Cole Parmer Venturi pump Is what Im using now. Right over 200 bucks. If the tank has been in slurry for the entire run then the small amount of residual solvent shouldn’t be to big of a concern. And yeah, I pull down to around -15, the slurry will pull it down the rest of the way.

3 Likes

I second that , my tank will be burried, just enough vac to remove the n2,
Burping my recovery passively isn’t my favorite, always seems some is still left
except on the columns, i will burp those as im not trying to have those vessels at vac

1 Like

Yeah I was gonna add a slurry will make ur dry ice last longer once the alcohol or solvent ur using is balls cold. You get more surface area touching the tank. It cools a tank twice as fast

Going that large if u can plumb the tank and collection w closed jackets you can really do it easy. Cost tons.

If its liftable I’d probably try the trash can slurry

A slurry a w liquid 1/3 the way up the tank is all u need really. I’ve been testing now although my tank is small a slurry w solvent only 1/3 up tank is usually bubbled up to the lid when adding dry ice. I add cup here and there constantly

1 Like

If you’re running smaller runs, your shit out of luck.

1 Like

I use a 50lb tank and use 30 to 35lbs per run passively. upon recovery set up a purge line off the tank. keep it open at the start of recovery. once you get good flow close it and it will start to pull vacuum from the cold tane flowing in i recover 35lbs in about 45 mins. only thing i use dry ice for is my condenser coil.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it

Where are you guys getting these 3 port tanks? The 2 gas 1 liquid ones? I was assuming I could just open the 3rd port to release the N before recovery if the tank has been in dry ice and all the butane is liquid.

3 Likes

@Mr.kind Google “stainless steel solvent tank”

3 Likes

Could ask @Killa12345 to custom fabricate you one.

2 Likes

How much dry ice do you think you use on the coil to recover that 35lbs?

1 Like

probably like 50-60lbs.

1 Like

Have you tried tube-in-shell condenser?
What size coil are you using?
I would love to not have to di/iso my 25# solvent tank

don’t you need a chiller for a tube condenser?

1 Like

I suppose you do,
Or a diy slurry w pump?

1 Like

I’m running 2 tube in shell condensers with a di iso slurry

2 Likes

Glad y’all brought it up. How about a tube in shell, but have the shell slotted, drilled or removed altogether. Now add a dry ice sleeve. Would be a fun component for R/D.
Better yet. A vacuum jacket dry ice sleeve. Fun.

3 Likes

Or the old cooler w slurry and a temperature appropriate pump to circulate heat transfer fluid to your jacketed condenser,
quick search found this…

Yea, I’ve been looking for a pump and hose to circulate alcohol through a copper heat exchange coil submerged in my injection coil slurry. I like the blitchman riptide, but can’t get a solid answer on the impeller material.

1 Like

my coil is like 50ft. compared to using a chiller di/iso is fast always works and is cheap compared to the product your making and won’t ever break down. That’s how I view it. a lot of places deliver as well.

2 Likes