Recommended Lawyers

Its all about the msg… STFU, don’t talk to the man.

4 Likes

I follow and they are very informative. They kill LinkedIn.

2 Likes

They are on the cannabis talk 101 podcast with Cris an Joe.

1 Like

Any case will hit 200 hours in three to nine months. Doesn’t matter criminal or patent. It’s all the same really. Legal costs are by the hour. When lawyers ramp up and do work they basically expend resources. The check book is open or they don’t do the work.

2 Likes

Maybe different state to state but criminal drug cases are pretty cut and dry. Here lawyers charge a flat rate per felony or misdemeanor. I did time on a conspiracy and that case took 2yrs to finish, doubt my lawyer had anymore than 24-30hrs spent on the case. For criminal law I don’t know how much a better high priced attorney would do ya (if not going to trial). Compared to a average lawyer that is in the courts daily. The guys who do these things daily don’t need to spend the hours, they already know what to say and do.

My criteria -

• Must work in the court system you are charged in
  • Must have worked in the DA’s office at some point
  • Must be a take no for an answer person
  • Must be upfront with how much time your going to be doing and what would be considered a good deal. Trust me, these guys know what your gonna get the moment they speak with the DA’s office.
5 Likes

Also would add the flat rate is only for pretrial. A decent attorney won’t lie to you and say that it covers the trial.

Had a lawyer for some issues to be dealt with and he had a pretrial flat rate and trial cost range. Depending on everything a loved one was actually going to be tried in court.

1 Like

Criminal court cases are the only ones that are considered cut and dry. But if you Wana get out of some time and get a good lawyer to do it - then hourly builds up.

3 Likes

Any good Arizona MMJ attorneys?

1 Like

More recommendations please don’t be stingy tell us who’s the lawyer to get!!

What kind of lawyer?
What area?

a shitty lawyer is known to be shitty by the community of lawyer douches, opposing counsel and judges. When you pay up for an attorney who is known to be smart, who writes really well supported motions, regularly appeals and regularly wins, you have a better chance of obtaining a settlement without getting ass raped by the fees you will encounter by going to trial.

Better to pay for a beastly smart lawyer and settle quick than pay for a crappy lawyer and lose by death of a thousand cuts. Personally, I can drag litigation on for ever. It costs opposition shit tons of money. I dispute everything. because it costs the opposition shit tons of money. the game is to beat them relentlessly with legal bills until they submit. I also know the governing law at issue and know I will win before I litigate.

1 Like

How do you guys research your prospective lawyers?

1 Like

look at their appeal history; how many appeals have they filed, how many won. google scholar → case law → their name. read the decisions in their cases. if they lose a lot, either they’re idiots or happy to milk the client for $. lots of lawyers milk the client. if they have no appeals, they’re too green to know wtf they’re doing. you want some grey hair.

3 Likes

How is this looked up?

1 Like

It’s not any accident that disciplinary records of attorneys are never revealed to the public. A lawyer could have been accused of ripping people off many times, but you’ll never know. It is an ethical violation for an honest lawyer to tell you that a crooked lawyer is crooked. There is no exemption for truth.

And that hourly billing is by the quarter hour. A task that takes a few seconds can be billed for 15 minutes. Work 1 min at a time for 15 clients and you can bill 15 hours in one hour. Retainers are supposed to be a deposit, then you pay the lawyer hourly each week. But have you ever heard of a retainer being returned? I haven’t. They just think about you here and there until the money is gone.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response as it took me days to think of a comeback: The jerk store called and they’re running out of you!

I kid, I kid. In all seriousness, litigation is a completely different beast than transactional/regulatory work. For clients we represent in litigation, we absolutely require a large retainer, more in line with the numbers you mentioned above. A pre-answer motion to dismiss filed before any discovery is even exchanged could cost tens of thousands of dollars. We don’t do any criminal work though, only civil litigation so I can’t speak to what type of retainers criminal attorneys require.

1 Like

I have Lucido on retainer. Big ass lawyer in Michigan. @qcm I’m sure has heard of the Lucido family

1 Like

Their online bio is always a good place to start. Many bios will list speaking engagements and link to articles they wrote. Many of the top-tier cannabis lawyers are involved with a handful of industry trade groups like the NCIA (national cannabis industry association, INCBA (international cannabis bar association), HIA (Hemp Industry Association), etc. Most will list their involvement with this organizations and speaking engagements with these organizations.

1 Like

StocktonTalbert in OK for all business matters

1 Like

if an attorney lists “speaking engagements” it’s because they don’t have any real experience to list. I’d look for actual experience or your fees will be paying to educate an overpriced inexperienced bullshit artist.

John Armstrong
Horwitz Armostrong
Jarmstrong@horwitzarmstrong.com

John is in Southern California and won a record setting case by turning around a wrongful seizure in Santa Barbara.

5 star recommendation

1 Like