Recommended hydrocarbon vendors in the Midwest and East coast?

interesting first post… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Your meds are just OK?
For reals though, has anyone here run that gas? Are you prepared to offer free samples to those that want to pay shipping, or whatever? I ask you this because, we have quite a few gas slingers around here, and the ones of quality have offered that exact deal…
We have to know it’s good gas in order to even purchase it, and plenty of people here have had their runs affected by poor quality gases…
I mean, good luck to you and all, but if your first post is pushing Someone Else’s gas, you might have a bad time. (But don’t take me for my word, and welcomed to the community!)

2 Likes

Ok as in Oklahoma lol. Yeh Im new here and wasn’t trying to peddle someone else’s gas. More so Just sharing my experience and enjoyed dealing with them so why not share? I stumbled across this post and shared my experience.
My experience with them have been consistent high quality and they have went above and beyond what I expected or use to get with my past suppliers and carry propane,Iso and Butane that we use. Maybe contact them and see if your interest on a sample, with my experience dealing with them Im sure they can work something out. They did a sample for me but like I found them on Insta and reached out.

1 Like

I was just kidding about the OK meds thing! When someone uses italics for phrases, or sentences just implies sarcasm. So if you see that, that’s what that means. There’s quite a few guys on here that are in the OK area, and everybody is always looking for better gas. (Unless you get it from already established sellers on here.)
I’m sorry, not trying to stop you at all, or anything. I’m just supplying to you some of the questions you might get asked. You might want to ask the for a COA of their gas that you can post here. It’s not that there’s that many gas sellers around, it’s more about the quality. People might be a little hesitant to give a new place a try because of how they have been bent over in the past. Quite a few people around here got fleeced by shitty gas suppliers, and now it seems we’ve reached an equilibrium of sorts because I haven’t seen any bad gas posts in a while. (Knock on wood…)
Welcome to the forum! Anything you ever wanted to know is here in some, or another. If you like to read, and learn this might be the place for you! If not, it still might be the place for you…
Happy you made it, and if there’s anything I can help with, please don’t hesitate to ask!

5 Likes

Appreciate it and glad to be here, stumbled across by accident but glad I did seems like alot of nice information and viewpoints.
I definitely understand getting bad gas it can make an expensive mess of a headache. Ill reach out and see if I can get a COA to post/ make sure they are cool with it being posted if that might help anyone.

1 Like

I found a older COA from dealing with them. They are pretty knowledgeable, alot more so than me on some aspects of hydrocarbons so maybe just try and reach out to them if interested. LOT 445123.pdf (590.3 KB)

1 Like

What is trans 2 butene and cis butene?

Never seen these on coas

2 Likes

UsE tHe SeArChBaR nah I’m kidding lol this is what I found

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-more-stable-cis-or-trans-2-butene

4 Likes

Have u ever seen that in a gas coa??

1 Like

Not on a 100% butane no, in blends I’m sure it pops up more often as it’s just isomers of butane.

2 Likes

I haven’t on our end.

3 Likes

Something smelling fishy, me thinks…
Not dope…

Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

Really appreciate the heck out yall!

2 Likes

Greetings, new here.

I had a call yesterday evening concerning trans-2-butene and cis-2-butene in our COA they found on “the internet”. I’ve never heard of this site before but glad and surprised our name was mentioned here.

I’m not sure if this is the proper place but my name is Allen and I represent Quality Gases based out of Houston, TX. We were approached by a large supplier of high purity hydrocarbons over 5 years ago looking for help to supplement the industry with the growing demand. Our company name isn’t out there but we’ve distributed to some pretty big players in the hydrocarbon industry. We typically don’t service end-users but starting to pivot toward that direction.

We run a very small (tall and skinny) fractional distillation column. We also supplement some of our demand with diversified product if our demand gets too high. Not only do we supply to this market, but we also supply to companies that do multicomponent mixtures for standard/calibration gases whom are REALLY picky with their impurities.

Trans-2-butene and Cis-2-Butene is a C4 that you’ll see even after distillation. The boiling point is really close to Butane (33-39F vs 30F). I can assure you, there are traces of trans-2-butene and cis-2-butene in mostly all product available. Incoming product in our facility gets analyzed and the results get compared to what the vendor provides. There’s no denying when it comes to GC data. If the peak is there, something is there. You can hide peaks or have the peaks merge with one another depending on the parameters of the GC.

Anywho, just wanted to clarify and shed some light. I did a quick glance here and there’s a lot of good info. I think majority of this site can call out BS when they see it. We could easily hide the peaks and numbers since this industry typically doesn’t see it but that wouldn’t be right in our books. To qualify with the majors, we have to send samples to qualify and get approved.

Attached is analysis of some instrument grade butane (99.68825% wt) with numbers compared to what the vendor would give. Nothing wrong with the vendor numbers if you’re not looking for these impurities, but in the multicomponent mixtures, it really does matter.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

I talked to some people who said your gas coa was super extensive and all people gas would look that way if analyze to this Caliber.

3 Likes

@Quality_Gases thanks for chiming in. Can we see your equipment?!! I wanna see your still!

3 Likes

I’ll post what I can. Keep in mind we are a small company and we do a lot of R&D projects with issues some of our colleagues or customers present to us.

This isn’t a picture of our complete setup but one of our first trial runs (skinny and long). It’s pretty much a very small scale packed column to test our simulations. We can pretty much run this continuous but very slow. It doesn’t look like much but it really does the job.
Samples are pulled off the vapor and liquid and then we tweak the parameters. Quite a bit of product loss but it gets the job done. It’s not the prettiest or most sophisticated thing but it’s all in the know-how.

We’ve been pretty successful with Isobutane. 99.99+% is really consistent and I think we can upscale this to very large volumes if it makes business sense. We are still pondering if we should put the capital into it as we are unsure if the there is a large need for 99.99+% isobutane. Our cost would be pretty competitive with the instrument grade isobutane on the market now. Anyone want to enlighten me on isobutane vs butane or propane?

My other question to this community would be if there are any issues in the industry that needs to be looked at as far as process efficiency or cost efficiency? We’d love to look into solutions if we are capable. One of the projects we were working on during the CO2 shortage was making a cost efficient way of recovering without using dry ice. We had designed a system that uses a Stirling cyrocooling concept. Pretty fun little project.

6 Likes

Hey Allen, how are things in Texas?

Pretty doesn’t matter.

4 Likes

Imo. Isobutane FTW.

2 Likes

Welcome, QG.
Thanks for all the info.
Do you find yourself being able to produce a lot with your frac system?
Or if I call you needing a surprise large order, do you supplement with other good instrument purity product?

2 Likes