Re-Running a decarbed oil

Hello everyone, we recently had a run come out too dark after our extraction and decarb process for our cartridges… I was wondering if anyone had any experience re-running a decarbed oil and running through some more media for a better color, or if since its already gone through the decarb process that will mess with the re-run or finished oil t all. Just trying to get some idea’s since I could not find any information out there, and have not personally done this yet myself. Any input is greatly appreciated. I know were going to have to send a new sample out after, if we do successfully re run. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

You can absolutely lighten distillate. You’re looking at re-dissolving in a solvent and running a few filtrations or if you’ve got the cash for a membrane you could go that route.

Breakingdabs has a good method for decolorization he talks about on modern extractor give it a listen.

1 Like

I have but purging out residuals is tougher than non-decarbed. Do you have a wiped film available?

This was gifted to me by @Dred_pirate . I didn’t blink at the color. Delicious!

6 Likes

I should have probably said that this was a butane hydrocarbon extraction and I would be looking to re-dissolve and re-filter through media through our closed loop. Not really looking to do a winterization/carbon scrub filtration. Thank you!!

No wiped film available

You can do this but it’s likely going to be in smaller fractions.

Idk who posted it here but basically put the material in the column and use warm or rt butane with some agitation via bottom filling the material column to dissolve then run it through media. You may open your column and find material left over since it’s hard to agitate sufficiently in the material column.

Edit: link ninja

1 Like

The hardest part will be redissolving. You will want to spread the oil out as thin as possible on a material sock for max efficiency. Stick that sock in another sock and throw it in a heated column. If you can’t heat your column you can route the outlet of your recovery pump to push hot vapors into the liquid drain side of your column. You will need to have the valve closed leading to your pump before you turn the pump on then close it again before you turn the pump off to avoid oil / butane from shooting into the pump outlet

5 Likes

Redissolving is definitely the hardest part! I put my oil in my collection and heat to 130f and pump vapor from my pump in a loop pushing vapor through the pour spout and recovering off the top of the column. It took me 3 hours to get 1700g of decarbed extract into solution.

2 Likes

Don’t even get me started on clogging the valve lol. Best to have a filter plate on bottom or a weld bottom with dip tube

2 Likes

Just playing the devil’s advocate here but…
Did you know carbolic acid smells sweet and lead acetate taste like sugar and etc etc etc…

This is imperative and easy to forget and a pain to recover from! lol

3 Likes

Appreciate the reply I’ve done plenty of reruns before and agitation is certainly the key. I am just curious if since after it has already been fully decarbed, if that will effect any part of the process or finished product. Thanks for your contribution!

1 Like