Re-ran material...did not expect this

Re ran ~11lb of dry material under suspicion of a decent amount being left behind. Put it through 900g of b80 because I expected to get a lot of undesirables on the re-run…did not expect this fun, slightly disturbing consistency though heavy breathing

1 Like

Woah!

Question. Did u dry out the material and then run it again?

1 Like

Material was dried to begin with, and void of butane (couple weeks went by) when I ran it again. Are you thinking that’s ice? I was leaning more towards coagulated fats and lipids

2 Likes

No I just have a theory that a second wash is much more effective after the biomass is dried of butane

2 Likes

I didn’t get shit, an oz our of those 11lb lol think it was pretty well washed the first time

Every time I do a second wash it’s not worth it

10 Likes

Another oz is another check haha

1 Like

Not when you worry about time and materials

16 Likes

@Diamondalchemy once posted something like “imagine derailing your entire lab just to get that extra percentage yield”

16 Likes

Same with trying to recover all the solvent from the biomass.

18 Likes

Unfortunately I can only hold 24lb, and need to use every last drop

1 Like

i just reran 4 lbs through some lustermax after a tube sitting a week or 3 like yours and got clean yellow normal oil out. I didnt even use dry ice because ill use it for edibles and think more cannabinoids the better. the rurun will make alot of good edibles, worth my time.

If you have stripped most the target molecules then run hot through crc I imagine it’s just polished fats w minors in target molecules.

I’d have to get it tested

2 Likes

thats alot of fats and it seems liquid and isnt bubbling like butane would what was the result after vacuuming it?

I just know when I run enough solvent I never get anything off 2nd run… But I run 8-10:1. Straight through slowly no soak really other than what the crc causes going through slowly

If u run enough solvent to begin w very lil soak times are needded and u get everything the first time

1 Like

Ive run 10 to 1 and seen it full of trichs and reran and gotten a yield. I was instructed to do 3 to 1 but it never made sense.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if that you are leaving material behind in your column. My first question is how potent was the starting material (I’m guessing potent).

Butane is a terrible solvent (meaning it doesn’t have a high dissolving capacity) and if you have too much or too potent material, you will likely leave some behind.

The reason pentane/heptane (same chemistry as butane for the most part) are used as a recrystallization solvent is because they don’t hold much and they don’t have a very high affinity for cannabinoids!

4 Likes

Newbe here, can’t u always tell under the scope, to some degree, if material still has resin heads?

We also find if you try to run extremely cold material columns that you leave a lot behind

1 Like