Raised Beds w/ Soil and Salt Based Fertilzers

Hi,

I’m growing in 16" deep raised beds w/ native Michigan soil (sandy) and using salt-based nutes (Front Row Ag). What’s the best way to flush(!), or keep the beds good for future rounds w/o replacing or tilling the soil?

Thanks you for any helpful inputs, this place rocks (just now getting hip to sap ph <— @emdub27). :palm_tree: :smiley: :pray:

Cheers,

2 Likes

You will need to add fresh organic material ontop each year.

To me, the inspiration for raised beds is the forest floor. The forest drops leaves each year (not just leaves but I’ll focus on leaves). those leaves take longer than a year to break down and require a whole ecosystem. If you go take a peak at a forest floor you will see mycelium eating the decaying leaves closest to the soil, there is an interface where new soil is being created. New material is constantly dropping on top and continuing the cycle.

It would take a while to develop a bed that was capable of taking non composted organic material like what is in a forest, but you can add fresh compost each year to simulate the process and I’d think inoculating with mycelium that is in your local forest floors could be useful.

5 Likes

I think the key is to constantly monitor your soil ec. and when it starts to get high, run straight water. keep it a low run off environment but constantly monitor soil ec and, id say if it hits 1.7 i would flush…thats just me tho…ive done this in 100 gallon smart pots in a greenhouse for 2 years now using jacks. works well.

3 Likes

cover crops could help too. if you have issues with too much nutrients in the soil. grow them chop them they become organic matter.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. Are you flushing your 100gal pots with 300gal of just water between rounds or cutting out nutes intermittently every few weeks?

My beds are 5 x 30’, so I’m going to need a fuck ton of water lol

No like i said we aren’t flushing them we just are keeping the ec in check. It’s definitely possible to do. You might not be able to feed as strong of feeds but with big beds it shouldn’t matter cause of huge root zones

1 Like