R134a crude extract into diamonds/high value products?

Hey guys, I’m managing a 50L extraction machine for a company that uses R134a as the solvent (I know, weird choice, I wasn’t around when they chose to buy this unit). The product I’m getting is very, very rich in terpenes, I’m waiting on some COAs any day now. The company is vertically integrated and I’ve been processing flower and trim from the farm.

Right now we don’t have any downstream processing equipment - the crude extract from this unit is adequate to go directly to cartridges so the owners have been fixated on making carts, even though that market is completely crashed in my state.

Excuse my ignorance, but can anyone fill me in on the strategies used to turn a solvent free crude into dabbable products? is this even possible? what equipment would be required? I could sell the owners on buying a rotovap, vac oven, short path, etc. if it would allow us to make more products than just cartridges.

I wish they had just bought a BHO system instead, lol.

A roto and short path will help with carts

1 Like

I think he wants concentrates as end result from solventless extracts, why go solventless to just decarb and throw in a cart.

I’m sure they could make some goodies not sure the recipes will be free lol

1 Like

R-134a is your solvent.
How do the ester oils taste

8 Likes

Oh my mistake

Is r134a not commonly used all I can decipher is it’s colder -25c could the thca be crashed out?

1 Like

Zesty

4 Likes

This isn’t that place out of AZ by chance is it?

2 Likes

There’s isn’t too many of those machines on this continent!

3 Likes

I experimented with r-134a back in 2012. There are a couple tricks to removing the oils that lubricate compressors.

2 Likes

Are you decarbing before extraction?

I’ve not looked at this in a couple of years, and don’t recall if that is a requirement

See: R134a hemp and cannabis extraction advice and comments

If so, what makes you think you’re dealing with “high terpene” extract?

The viscosity?

Decarbed oleoresin will be lower viscosity…

Decarbed extract will also never make “diamonds”.

Edit: all I recall from the demo was telling my current handler “fuck no! Nobody gets to treat our flower that way…”

5 Likes

Whatever do you mean? So if you cook the terps away before extracting them you can’t have an HTE? It must be the compressor lubrication adding that skunky pine smell!

1 Like

Not sure where @pangea grabbed that quote…and yeah, boiling off the terpenes during decarb would seem to rule out

But that’s what analytics are for…let’s see that COA

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware - I’m not too interested in making carts.

no, not a comerg.

correct, its simple

Yes, I’m working on obtaining cascade ovens for decarbing. the only advantage is a 10-30 percent yield increase, but it’s absolutely not a requirement to decarb. Also, if done incorrectly, you just lose all the terps which is supposed to be the advantage of this solvent.

viscosity, smell, and flavor are the reasons I belive in the high terp content. I’ve seen COAs from other similar R134 units that suggest the same. It is speculation at this point, I’ll have analytical data in a couple days.

2 Likes

you can decarb in sealed containers to preserve terps, so I’ve been told.

3 Likes

Cold traps

2 Likes

the compressor lubrication that comes in the R134a cans is very easy to remove with the system I have.

1 Like

Can we see ur rig @HK_Esquire?

1 Like