R134a as a solvent

Got a client with crude that’s been extracted with R134a - does anyone know anything about this? I’ve never heard of using Freon to extract but it sounds nasty

2 Likes

Please no… The horror.

5 Likes

I read the whole thread fuuuck those guys

3 Likes

Very much

2 Likes

I prefer this one :wink:

2 Likes

Wild Wild West… and everyone has too much money and not enough reading comprehension.

I’m putting everything I have together on a shoestring budget and am learning so much more because of it.

11 Likes

An update on R134a:

PURE5 R134a extraction vs CO2 for extraction of cannabis

I’ve had the pure5 company come to our lab.
They promised a solid non polar extraction but r134a acts more like ethanol than butane it would seem.

Pire5 R134a oil was black and runny. The same material extracted with propane made a beautiful yellow sugar.

2 Likes

AC is your best bet for pulling R-134a from oil. Steam the AC after passing the oil through it, collect the mixture, distill the water out, and pass the remainder through a molecular sieve.

Edit: This process worked for Freon 113.

2 Likes

Corona Virus and Pure 5 all at once… what kind of Orwellian dystopia are we living in?PURE5 extraction: new trends in cannabis oil production

4 Likes

Live oil five ex!

1 Like

I’m aware of folks that are using 134a to make a slightly yellowish vape oil without distillation.
They do use a CRC.
The problem is THC has a really low solubility in 134a so you have to use a lot of solvent.
I did an open circuit mini batch once and the product came out looking like crystalline sulfur.
Very yellow and crystalline THCA I think.
It worked fine.

Is there a notable difference in THC vs CBD solubility in 134a? I’m sure you already know why i’m asking.

I said this before : Wouldn’t they still have to distill the r-134a?

1 Like

Hold that thought.
I would expect a big solubility difference between THC, CBD and hydrocarbon waxes in 134a as a function of pressure and temperature.
You could add other Freon’s too to tune more.
134a operates at reasonable temperatures and pressures compared to CO2., that’s a plus.
f somebody build a mini extractor and mapped this space I suspect that guy would be happy.
Without a refrigeration tech ticket you can get busted for having too much fun with Freon.

1 Like

Water is a problem with Freons since they give off HF when they decompose.
It has little mutual solubility with water so decanting might replace distillation.
Clean up with mole sieves.
Back in the hippie days I had a R113 extraction rig made out of a pressure cooker and a oil cooler.
Extraction vessel was an oil filter housing from a CAT.
Wish I still had it but 113 is not available.
At room temperature it pulled everything but I didn’t think to experiment with chilling the Freon.

3 Likes

I read that. Lmfao the ethanol section. They don’t seem to point out that we roto below 35°c. Still though with ethanol it’s hard to maintain terps.

:man_facepalming::bomb::man_shrugging::roll_eyes::boom::thinking::cold_sweat::exploding_head::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::dizzy_face:

The same could be said for butanes and propane (and whole world of entrainer possible). They have some fun anomalous solvent properties especially around their critical points.

2 Likes