Questions on uneven plant heights and flipping and more

If I have a many un even plant heights let’s says 8inchs difference and other 5-6 different from other being short how would I even the height by stunting it or making the other grow faster and slow the other down without stunting them or would I need start over next harvest and only get it from clones at even height and when do I flip half way from the lights or 60-70 from lights and tissue culture easy or pain in the ass?

Okay - the clone size is not really the issue here, but possibly the amount of roots PLUS the amount of light that each plant is getting and amount of nutrients. During VEG you can top them to keep them about the same size before you decide to move them into a FLOWER room. This can, of course, spread out the bud production through more nodes on each plant - which is often helpful for other issues and helps keep things from growing too tall.

You could consider trellising them and pulling over the upper nodes - and training/tying them back. They will then be the same height (so not too close to lights??) without stunting anything.

Short ones is probably just clone vigor - it happens. I always do extra clones - and I don’t transplant the ones that are stunted roots to begin with, into the compost those ones go. And then before I move to flower - I’ve already topped at least once (depending on variety) and I’m also leaving behind the ones that are stunted (less than 50% of the average height of the others. Gives a mostly even canopy.

Its harder than growing from seeds. Its a bit harder than cloning. It takes a bit longer to get your new babies big enough to transplant. But you do not have to maintain mother plants in the same way. And you can store the tissue easier - and ship it easier should you be so inclined to ship things.

I always found it to be a pain in the ass for anything other than long term storage of genetics. But there are people out there that swear by it and use it all the time. It takes some extra equipment that you will probably not use for anything else - but you can buy starting kits for less than $100… if you want to do trial and error with things like contamination and looking at timelines and such.

There’s a whole school of thought around it that says it prevents genetic drift which happens when using mothers (different parts of the plant where clones are taken could be significantly different than each other, there be research…)

Let us know what you decide to do and share some photos - perhaps you are having other issues that are causing the stunted plants (are they dudded? HLV?) and looking at things like light layouts, pruning, trellis technique, etc.

1 Like

That is somaclonal variation. It occurs with tissue culture as well… we even considered it a feature (we can haz NEW things…) when we first learned tissue culture…

Genetic drift is about allele frequencies in populations with no selection on said alleles

See: What is Genetic Drift and How Does it Apply to Cloning and Micro-propagation?

3 Likes

You are the best. <3 <3 <3

2 Likes

Cannabis misuses soooo many words…

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Data needed

Flower or Veg?
How far into either?
Did you top them yet?
Do you have a trellis?
Are they all the same strains?
Have there been significant setbacks in the grow (pest, fungal, shitty feeding, too wet, nutrient lockout etc)?
Are all the pots the same size? (you’d be surprised on that one…)
How is the rootmass? (shit roots = no nutrient uptake)
Bad ventilation? (aka lack of co2 if no burner/supplementary source is there)
Consistent temperatures?

There are so many variables that will interfere with uniform growing

Honestly just keeping a good canopy is a matter of attention to detail and topping/training at the correct times. You’re the only one that can make it grow as uniform as you want. The overall health of the plants are going to determine how well it responds to your training techniques or if they’re gonna get stressed, turn yellow and tell you to fuck off as you can only do so many things to a plant at once before it gets pissed.

2 Likes

well i grow a slo mo perp now. to make plants even
i will set shorter plants onto something to raise them.
then make lower as it catches up. hope this helps.