Questions on switching cls from active to passive.

WHY??? And why do you insist on using that tee. and that sight glass would be better served on the bottom of your spool not the top.

3 Likes

I know but I like to see the butane go in. Iā€™m just wondering if two ports would be a good idea though.

Not for n2, add that to your tank via the vapor port. You can add an extra part at the bottom of your column that would allow for bi directional flooding if you like, or you could recover butaine off the top of the material column with that t and valve.
so in a nutshell your options are top recovery, or bi flow.

5 Likes

Thank you

Lulzies

This stuff is sooo easy; why do people make it sooo complicated. Its like people are masochist and like the pain.

5 Likes

i think 2 port injection is a good ideaā€¦if they inject at the cap in different spots but your teeā€™s flow is limited to the size of one side of the teeā€¦you cant get double the amount of solvent into the downstream of that tee unless its double the size of the injection sides.

I think same goes for recovering gasā€¦your limited to the diameter of the up-port. i dont think you would be able to recover any faster that way if your one port was efficient

Thats why you suck on the recovery pot and the top of the column at the same time with the recovery pump!

3 Likes

I understand you would be sucking on the recovery pot and the top of the column like any other bottom feed system. But once you hit max liters per minute on that 1/4 up-portā€¦your maxed out? Right? If your system is running efficientā€¦it shouldnā€™t matter if its split afterwards?..you can only move as fast as the slowest bottleneck in your system.

Maybe im looking at this wrong though. So do you think that tee on the top would recover any faster than just haviing a straight port to a hose?

I understand after the tee the flow rate would be doubled but wouldnt the up-port create a flow bottleneck in the system which would dictate the flow rate of the system?

1 Like

Its not the fact that its a tee, it is that you are recovering vapor from the top of the column as well as the collection pot. Plant material acts like a plug in the system, it is very hard for vapor at the top of the column to travel though the biomass. Recovering vapor from the top as well as the collection pot provides the fastest route to recovering 99% of your solvent. Think of it like burning a candle at both ends rather then just one.

this is true, gotta eliminate those!

4 Likes

Couldnt you just do this without the tee there as well? My only gripe was why the tee? I never thought of recovery like you just explained thoughā€¦ I might just try that next timeā€¦Hmmm Shitā€¦this might save me some time in the future. I think i would need another port on my recovery tank so i could vacuum my whole system down including linesā€¦

Couldnt you pull some oil into your lines this way as well threw the top or would the top port go to the collection first before recovery. This really interests me now.

2 Likes

yeah, the t isnt any magic! we run a mantafold system, the t would allow you to just turn valves instead of swapping hoses.

As long as the valves for top recovery are shut during injection you wont have any problems.

4 Likes

which is why I use a three-way valve there. :slight_smile:

so one can inject OR recoverā€¦

4 Likes

I have a single valve at the top recovery, and a three way that controlls the injection direction. there is a seporate threeway for recovery direction.
I use these valves
https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-43GS6-1466&item=

https://www.swagelok.com/en/catalog/Product/Detail?part=SS-44XS6-1466

There is no lubricant in the valve, this is crucial for a clean system.

3 Likes

Do you recover from the top when you heat your material column or is the valve to the collection left open?

1 Like

I recover from top of material, i feel like thereā€™s possible undesirables if the bottom valve is open to recovery
From the top it should be vapor

3 Likes

I recover from the top since its isolated and will recover the column completely in 30 sec or so.

2 Likes

Impressive you can recover you column in 30 seconds what pump are you using for that?

Cmeps , its just hot and all vapor so it comes recovers real fast

1 Like

Interesting what size column and do just heat it up for a while to turn it all into vapor then put the pumps on to suck? How many cemps?

1 Like