Questions on switching cls from active to passive.

Is it safe to do an extraction with the recovered butane if it still contains n2?

It won’t have any in it, when it turns back into a liquid the butane separates and they aren’t together anymore. So, yes it is perfectly safe. All of my butane has been a vapor with nitro, turned back into a liquid, reused until its gone.

1 Like

wont effect the butaine

1 Like

yes, it is preffered!

3 Likes

Your running the nitro thru your pump? I’ve all ways just used hot vapor to push my system it would have been very hard to push with nitro and the hot vapor empties a column in seconds with no added gas to recover just by simply using the previous columns vapor as soon as the liquid stops I open one of the recovery valve and it basically “puts the brakes on it” and then I isolate just the hot column and it’s recovered to zero in less than a min and on goes the next. I like the way yours sounds definitely one of those systems I’d like to see in person

1 Like

Heres a pic of a hybrid passive unit.
The n2 stays in the headspace of the injection tank like a spring to move the liquid, after injection and recovery of 90%of the liquid the recovery pump is turned on to scavange any remaining gas. All is returned to one of the tanks, then re injected with the next column.

9 Likes

So let me ask you this, would it be a good idea to have a double injection port at the top of an extraction unit, like this.

Like one for butane one for the n2 push

WHY??? And why do you insist on using that tee. and that sight glass would be better served on the bottom of your spool not the top.

3 Likes

I know but I like to see the butane go in. I’m just wondering if two ports would be a good idea though.

Not for n2, add that to your tank via the vapor port. You can add an extra part at the bottom of your column that would allow for bi directional flooding if you like, or you could recover butaine off the top of the material column with that t and valve.
so in a nutshell your options are top recovery, or bi flow.

5 Likes

Thank you

Lulzies

This stuff is sooo easy; why do people make it sooo complicated. Its like people are masochist and like the pain.

5 Likes

i think 2 port injection is a good idea…if they inject at the cap in different spots but your tee’s flow is limited to the size of one side of the tee…you cant get double the amount of solvent into the downstream of that tee unless its double the size of the injection sides.

I think same goes for recovering gas…your limited to the diameter of the up-port. i dont think you would be able to recover any faster that way if your one port was efficient

Thats why you suck on the recovery pot and the top of the column at the same time with the recovery pump!

3 Likes

I understand you would be sucking on the recovery pot and the top of the column like any other bottom feed system. But once you hit max liters per minute on that 1/4 up-port…your maxed out? Right? If your system is running efficient…it shouldn’t matter if its split afterwards?..you can only move as fast as the slowest bottleneck in your system.

Maybe im looking at this wrong though. So do you think that tee on the top would recover any faster than just haviing a straight port to a hose?

I understand after the tee the flow rate would be doubled but wouldnt the up-port create a flow bottleneck in the system which would dictate the flow rate of the system?

1 Like

Its not the fact that its a tee, it is that you are recovering vapor from the top of the column as well as the collection pot. Plant material acts like a plug in the system, it is very hard for vapor at the top of the column to travel though the biomass. Recovering vapor from the top as well as the collection pot provides the fastest route to recovering 99% of your solvent. Think of it like burning a candle at both ends rather then just one.

this is true, gotta eliminate those!

4 Likes

Couldnt you just do this without the tee there as well? My only gripe was why the tee? I never thought of recovery like you just explained though… I might just try that next time…Hmmm Shit…this might save me some time in the future. I think i would need another port on my recovery tank so i could vacuum my whole system down including lines…

Couldnt you pull some oil into your lines this way as well threw the top or would the top port go to the collection first before recovery. This really interests me now.

2 Likes

yeah, the t isnt any magic! we run a mantafold system, the t would allow you to just turn valves instead of swapping hoses.

As long as the valves for top recovery are shut during injection you wont have any problems.

4 Likes