Questions about Biomass after grinding before drying/decarb

Working on a project and could use the following information:

1. What is the particle size(range) of ground material prior to decarb?
  2. What is the average moisture content prior to decarb?
  3. How many pounds of material are in 1 cu.ft.

We decarb post extraction, but…

1. We have found that ideal biomass mill is 1/4" minus (preferably avoiding turning any into a powder).

2. Typical moisture content prior to extraction is 4-8%. It works well and we find that we rarely, if ever, have to redistill out ethanol.

3. Biomass composition determines weight per cu.ft. Fan leaf, flower, stems and seeds all have different densities and weight by volume. A harvest that has heavy flower production will have greater density and weight by volume than an underdeveloped, early, or malnourished harvest. Throw seeds into the mix, and you have a recipe for “who knows how much that weighs.” I will weigh some stuff out next week and update you. Sorry I don’t have a more specific answer.

And if you don’t mind me asking, why are these people decarbing prior to extraction? Seems that the amount of space and energy required to decarb the biomass (especially at scale) is significantly greater than decarbing post extraction.

This is great feedback. Thank you!

CO2 requires very dry biomass. I’m as surprised as you and the page scale producers use CO2 because of the cost but that’s the way the market seems to be going.

1 Like

You are very welcome. And thanks for the response. I get so stuck in the world of ethanol that I sometimes forget people use other things to extract with. Haha

1 Like