Question on theoretical solvent capacities (etoh/mtoh/Alkane)

Hey!

Am just toying around with some Extraction numbers. I suppose this stuff is easy enough to test on my own. But just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas on the chemistry end of things.

So there’s an (assumed/proven?) linear relationship with temperature and ethanol saturation. Namely, people doing room temperature runs are fitting significantly more lbs per litre of solvent. I was hearing 1lb/L has been pretty consistent on the high end.

It seems 4-6L per lb at -80 also seems to be the go-to numbers as well.

I’m curious if anyone’s been running things around -10 to 0c, and if there’s an interesting equilibrium to be found, with significantly less pickup of undesirables at those temperatures, but in turn having more “room” for cannabinoids. Wondering if there’s a happy medium where we can get 60-70+% thc, while getting a nice 1lb/L out of that temperature range, since we’d avoid all sugars and a chunk of waxes/fats.

Anyone have any thoughts? @Rowan I know you’re doing that room temperature magic

4 Likes

I read somewhere on here about 75mg/ml at cryo temps, 300-400mg/ml at room temp ish (on phone, too lazy to find the thread etc).

To a first approximation everything can be modeled as linear so maybe it would sit somewhere near the 300 range? Unfortunately it’s a bit different when we’re talking extraction rather than just “how much can I stuff in this solvent that I’ve got in a beaker.”

Interesting research area I think.

1 Like

I think fastest way is to do a warm heptane extractions then do a LLE to get the nasties out quick, u can also CRC in the same loop after u LLE

3 Likes