Query, wanting to run 300g of material in a 2LB closed column extractor

Hi all

Just wondering what issues there may be if any,

Say for e.g. a 2LB closed column extractor takes X amount of gas

Will I need to always use X amount even when I’m running well below capacity?

Thank u everyone

2 Likes

3-5 lbs of solvent per pound of material. everyone has there own ratios

Also need to know more about the setup. is it just a closed column into a Pyrex or do you recover?

wrong not for closed columns or open blast

Id use 3x 420ml cans per oz…which is shit ton gas…down side to open blasting and closed column

I suggest prefeezr the material on dry ice then load fast…cool the solvent on dry ice but only to.get any where about -20f. …u don’t want the solvent as cold as the material -70f bc it won’t go in the column then

My theory why open blasting or closed column takes sp.much gas is bc it trickles in

With our tanks and cls we have rather large openings to flood the gas fast and all at once in continuous manner
W cls 5lb gas per lb will work fine if done right blasted fast and cold

Although ever since I’ve had the capability to.run 10lbs per lb or more I always run. 10:1

10:1 really only for crc or if u have true 2nd stage dewax chamber u stall the oil laden solvent in to chill to dry ice Temps to drop the fats

5:1 for non crc regular runs

1 Like

No recovering w closed columns…its essentially a metal open blast w valves to close it off if needed…like when changing cans…u can shut it off to prepare for next can

Once I filled the column completely, I’d then attach a new can and crack the bottom valve open barely, let it slowly come out as u add more

1 Like

I’ve ran with closed columns before too. And would just chill my cans on dry ice then run them straight through till there was no more color coming out, I don’t like soaking. Color would usually stop around 3-4 lbs of tane but I also haven’t ran a closed column in agesss

1 Like

That’s also why I was trying to figure out the exact setup he had, I’ve heard many people call closed loop setups “closed columns” because they didn’t know the difference

1 Like

I think it takes more when u freeze the material on dry ice to keep most the bullshit back

1 Like

I haven’t either but its like riding a bike ain’t it

1 Like

Thank you for the reply

When I saw your response I thought to myself
“Fucking hell it’s the legendary stoneD the spoon feeder”

I’m new to the forum but am already familiar with you

Your a much needed beacon of light for us lost souls here, much appreciated

Thanks for your comments, yes it’s unfortunate I’m getting a 2LB closed column instead of the whole cls setup but I plan to also get a cls within a couple months from now

3 Likes

I’ve seen a guy attach a whole solvent tank to it and keep it flowing until the solvent comes out totally clear in colour

Changing jars as they fill up

Interesting may I ask why you don’t like soaking? Picks up too much lipids?

I’ve been open blasting and have a vacuum oven

I need to get a closed column to make it easier

Looking at a 2LB closed column

We’re using 300ml cans atm as the 420ml cans and brand have skyrocketed in price

So 4 x 300ml cans . That’s a lot of tane. I would like to state I’m extracted from shake and trim rather than flower. Currently filling up 60-100g in honeybees and running 600ml through it as first runs

Sometimes depending on the material I don’t bother with second runs

So I’ll have to tailor the amount of gas used depending on the material I suppose

1 Like

I did this be careful the pressure coming out the bottom the closed column is a shit ton

Hit up @Killa12345 for a cls upgrade

1 Like

id spray into a large Pyrex pan, as it reduces pour it into jars when ur close much easier this way

Next doesn’t matter how much solvent the 2lb gonna hold ur gonna fill it then add a can to the top open the valve at top so ur injection the same time u slowly open the bottle valve to dump slow

I was always washing bud if its shake and trim and u know ur getting it all thats all that matters

Btw id use whip it premium 420ml cans they are blended gas…u can get them cold and still have push from. The Propane

I feel honored

But be safe blast outside and reduce the solvent outside

Btw freeze ur material on dry ice 2-4 hrs prior to running, chill the butane on dry ice to but for about 15min …this will make a cleaner extract

2 Likes

Dude, 20kg and no cls? You could probably get a 1 pound cls from @Killa12345 for half what your tane is gonna cost blasting with a closed column. Worth it for the gas savings alone, not to mention safety. You’ll have much more control over the process in a closed loop as well.

4 Likes

yepppppp

All the tane ur gonna waste over year and you could buy cls

But w cls comes upgrades ull need and accessories…there’s always more money to spend

2 Likes

I hear that! Damn expensive hobby when it’s just a hobby without sales to support it. It would be a lot cheaper if I quit reading here…

4 Likes

Yea open blast is for qp runs and smaller

5 Likes