Pyrethrin Action Limit in OR

***Posted this in the lab section…my bad for double posting as it applies to both culitvation and testing.

Had some root aphids set up shop in 2 gal coco pots this indoor run. They were relentless with tons fliers emerging. Shrugged them off as gnats at first, as I’ve never dealt with root aphids before after 16 yrs of growing (at least not that I was fully aware of)

With this being a rec grow, we’re limited on products to use with concern of failing pesticide testing.

Started off dusting DE on the tables, under the pots and a top layer on the pots. It slowed them down but still fliers emerging. Also tried azadirachtin with mediocre results.

So I decided to do a root drench of Pyganic 1.4 at 25oz per 100 gal water for the crawlers. Then immediately after, a foliar of 1oz per gal to handle the fliers. Next morning, no fliers or crawlers. Sweet. But now I’m scared af to fail the lab tests :skull: Also would really like to do a follow up drench but idk?

This run is on day 4 bloom and wondering if anyone has experience with Pyganic drench’s and pass/failing compliance pesticide testing??? I’m aware that its on the OR approved list and the half life dwindles pretty quick but the root drench has me second guessing as no UV is hitting it.

(Action limit on pyrethrin is 1ppm in OR)

Microbial action in your media should degrade the pyrethrins. The extra long half lives for pyrethrins in soil are found in river mud, which is very different than healthy grow media.

3 Likes

I agree with Autumn_Ridge_Hemp. I would also add that depending on your flowering time I would not use pyganic again. We’ve found that almost any treatment on an indoor grow more than a week into flowering and your going to risk seeing it in your COAs pretty much no matter what you do. Sounds like you’ve got a got a good handle on it with the one drench. Personally I would go back to DE now that you’ve got them knocked down and see if you can’t manage it that way.
Edited: We are also running out of Oregon so we’re running off the same action levels your talking about.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have recently read about some bacillus strains breaking down pyrethrin in the soil, so I’ll inoculate some asap

1 Like

Thanks for the reply…i have seen it in my tests before and didn’t even use it lol (knowingly) I think it was bonide neem that had some extra goodies that were not on the label a few yrs back.

I’m leaning towards just one drench as well. Seemed to fuck the RA up pretty good, so i should make to to finish :crossed_fingers:

I would look into beneficial nematodes . They work super well as long as you get a fresh batch .

2 Likes

Pyrethrins - the natural compounds contained in pyganic - are not systemic insecticides, they are not significantly transported across plant tissue through the xylem. The only way you would get them in flower is if you sprayed the flower directly. Under a grow room the pyrethrins will degrade quite quickly in the air though.

Pyrethroids, which are synthetic pesticides chemically similar to pyrethrins, are a completely different story.

3 Likes

Pyrethrins and pyrethroids are also very photosensitive. So with sufficient UV they should break down pretty readily.

edit sorry I saw no UV in your first post. Ignore this suggestion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries…thanks anyway

Use this next time instead of pyrethrins

2 Likes