Purging Solvent Without Removing Terps

Everyone knows that terps are volatile, and so are hydrocarbons, problem is you want to get rid of one without the other. I’ve been trying a host of different things in the realm of terp retention and have gotten a wide range of results. Starting material seems to be key, followed by CRC media and ratio, and finally the post-processing.

I have had live resin that i can hit full vac at 84*f until it no longer reacts and had very little terpage remain and have had cured material with same purge technique that actually held more terps.

Ive tried whipping with low heat and low vac and had both bone dry crumbles and almost overly wet badder.

is starting material really paramount to all else? Is it possible to have nice sweaty terpage from CRC cured trim?

Basically looking for some new purging techniques and tricks, for me the following has been working out best, (cured trim light remediation)

• jar up overly saturated mother liquid and put on dry ice until everything crashes out.

• pour off remaining solvent into separate container
    (terp fraction)

• jar up whatever is left in original jar (crashed out thca) for crystallization

• allow top solvent layer (terp fraction jar) to off gas in oven at room temp

• purge terp fraction in vac oven at room temp -20hz

Let me know what yall think, this is just something ive been playing with and not really my go-to tek so please dont be jumping down my throat over it, also just got in to badders as well and whipping seems to help off gas without much heat but im feeling like theres still some solvent trapped in there even though it smokes good,

just curious to hear others take on purging solvent without purging the terrrrp, much love, ganggang

Post-processing is definitely the key here. Nitrogen-blow down evaporation might be able to dial in these temperature-specific parameters. The only drawback is small sample volumes.

*Precise Control temp of heated bath— as low as possible but enough to evaporate solvent w/ N2 purge assist.

• Control N2 pressure and flow rate
  • N2 purge will keep terpenes and target-compounds in solution while allowing solvent to evaporate. Needs a gentle stream, enough to agitate surface.

All I got as far as a possible new purging technique. This type of evaporation has been seen as a viable alternative to using a rotovap (in other industries).

3 Likes

Could you elaborate on how you think the n2 keeps the terps but allows the solvent to evaporate?

I love the use of n2 sweeps to remove residuals but feel like its going to help pull terps and solvent equally.

1 Like

I don’t have any first hand experience with it. Finding that intermediate between pulling off terps and pulling off solvent is the key here… So much to look into with this application. Type of solvent, Terpenes present, starting material etc.

You’re absolutely correct. If the terps weren’t so volatile and non-polar I’d say this wouldn’t be an issue.

This article mentions an ice bath?

“If the terpene is volatile, then all concentration and drying steps under a nitrogen stream should be conducted with the sample vial sitting in ice.”

Interesting…

5 Likes