Purging crude oil wont stop bubbling over?!

hey everybody, so the short story is that im currently purging about 500ml of ethanol extracted crude oil. Ive been using a 2000ml erlenmeyer filter flask on a magnetic stirring hot plate under vacuum to remove any residual ethanol after its run through the rotovap. Ive usually had pretty good luck with this method for purging smaller amounts of crude oil to be diluted into tinctures (N/D levels of ethanol). my issue is that this last batch took forever to stop bubbling and would bubble over the flask unless i bled some of the vacuum. this took days to get to a point where i could apply vacuum without it bubbling over into the vac. I chocked it up to incomplete decarb (the client just got a big restaurant oven and said that they “decarbed” the flower before hand. I would prefer decarbing the oil, but I gave the bud a light dry to remove any water and extracted it anyway) but ive never seen it bubble that much for that long. are there any other factors that would cause the oil to behave this way? It took a lot of time but Ive finally got it stable but it is still bubbling some. I appreciate the input!

You’re correct, finish decarb and purge will go better for you. It may even purge during decarb

3 Likes

stop sucking so hard…

get yourself a controllable leak.

that search term should yield a picture for ~ $35 worth of hardware

4 Likes

Crack open a vacuum joint ever so slightly. Bam, controlled vac leak like @cyclopath mentioned above.

1 Like

I should have mentioned, that is exactly what i ended up doing. Ive just never had it bubble so much for so long before so I just wanted to make sure I was addressing all possible causes. thanks for the help!

3 Likes

You could always use a bigger pyrex dish. More surface area the better for solvent removal and allowing CO2 to escape during decarb.