Pumping subzero liquids

Hello again!

The title says it all folks!

I need to pump a iso/dry ice slurry but am having a hard time finding a pump that can handle those types of temp.

peristaltic pumps was what I thought I needed. But the cold will most likely freeze the plastic tubing an cause it to break

I’m running out of ideas and sanity.

Please help!!!

2 Likes

I had a chiller pump go out recently. I replaced it with something like this:

Hot Water Pump, DC Water Circulation Pump 24V 18W 11L/Min (2.9gpm) Fitting for Solar Water Heater Hot Circulation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6JFZQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mOGfEbWFD0DYB

What volumes are you pumping and what vessels are you moving in and out of? A couple years ago I was doing bulk winterization and filtration with bright tanks and lenticular filters and moving 500+ gallons of -80 oleoresin with a used slurry pump that I think came from some jelly/jam factory or something.

Ask for Serge. If your’e not in CA, he’ll ship.

It depends on your scale though and your shop capacity I guess, but it 110% works really well. I changed the seals on them is about all, and they pushed 100+L an hour of the filthiest darkest fattiest vile warm BHO crude I’ve ever touched, through 3, 16" x 4 lenticular filters like it was water for first pass winterization and left less than 1% fats. Don’t call McMaster-Carr though, they hate plants and fire hash.

This looks a lot like my vintage ebay challenge slurry pump for sure.

Hydroponic mag drive pump…
I prefer Danner pumps,

2 Likes

It’s actually pretty neat how good those things work, I have a couple I’ve used in the past, and I’m amazed the plastic can hold up.

EcoPlus 290 GPH (1098 LPH, 17W) Submersible Water Pump w/ 6 ft Power Cord | Aquarium, Fish Tank, Fountain, Pond, Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012UZYMG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.LHfEbGPG1QVZ

1 Like

Hi Carltonkent, how cold are you going? We may have something for you, I’m write back shortly. Thanks, Greg/Heyes Filters Inc.

Those will seriously handle ISO and EToH allowing with cryo temps and don’t grenade?!?

Interesting…

1 Like

Many people use them for this. I personally have not, but it’s the route I’ll soon be going once everything is fully jacketed

1 Like

I’d stay away from Ampco pumps, just finished dealing with an improperly designed pump and it took 6 weeks to get a working replacement.

I think I’d be cracking the pump open and silicone the shit out of it.

Just to be safe

1 Like
1 Like

That thread is what directed me to the mag drive pumps actually.

@Dred_pirate is the one who pointed the mag drive pumps out in that thread, just wanting to give credit where it’s due.

@HeisenbergInd, when I used them, they worked great. And the mag drive box is pretty well isolated from the motor.

They’re definitely not certified for this application, but they do work.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Is a pump a requirement ? Would pushing your solution with a noble gas be an option? Maybe something like nitrogen? Certainly be much easier and cheaper if so.

You need the recirculation

2 Likes

Bingo or just an air compressor and pressurize the tank to push it out.