PTFE coated cookware + hydrocarbons?

It seems like a bad idea but it might not be?

Can pans with non stick PTFE coatings be used for hydrocarbons?

PTFE says yes, but im sure its not JUST PTFE in the coating…

Im worried about chemical leaching obviously

Assuming your talking about Calphalon, its not pure ptfe. Can’t really say whats in it because the components that lend their wear resistance to the coating are proprietary ingredients.

It doesn’t leach compounds into cooking oil when you cook on it and both lipids and hydrocarbons are about as non polar as it gets… although all solvents tend to act more polar when temperatures rise. I know cooking oil wouldn’t work as good (or at all) for stripping paint as heptane even though their both extremely non polar so who really knows…

Why would you want to use kitchenware with an alkane anyways?

Just hoping to find a better spray-out vessel than folded parchment paper bowls.

Not related to the nacho cheese dabs thread

3 Likes

There are companies that will coat anything you give them in Teflon. I bet a baker sheet coated in Teflon would work pretty decent for what your talking about.

Maybe a brownie pan would work better, taller walls.

1 Like

Would probably be easier to get larger ovens. Once the slabs get over 200G they get wild sometimes if im not watching it.

Something like a 5 gallon bucket cut in half would be nice for the first trip to vactown. Maybe a pan with sides that slope in a little bit.

How are the larger guys transferring from extractor to ovens?

1 Like

I got a roll of PTFE on ebay, .4mm thick, 30cm x 100cm for like 20 or 30 bucks. I cut a few pieces to fold into liners for small pyrex baking pans of various size. It’s pretty easy to work with, and stiff enough to be used on its own, outside of the pan. It can float on top of a water bath, too. The only downside is that it seems to have a grain to it, meaning it likes to be scraped off in one direction, and not much at all perpendicular to that direction.

1 Like

Why not just get ptfe pots, 100% ptfe? Too expensive?

PTFE containers would make more sense than coated cookware. I didn’t even think about that when I bought the sheet. I was originally looking to buy some Oil Slick sheets, but found the .4mm stuff and went with that instead. A ptfe pot would be pretty handy to have.

1 Like

i havent seen any PTFE containers that looked good. Maybe im looking in the wrong industry in the cookware/bowls department.

Something about 13x15x 1 - 8 inches deep