Psylocibin and Psilocin Extraction Theory Questions

First off, big thank you to all who contribute on this forum. I have been lurking here for awhile and soaking up knowledge on all types of topics.

I am looking to begin experimenting with psylocibin and psilocin extraction. I am looking to use an ultrasonic homogenizer that was sitting around from an old hemp project previously used for nano emulsions.

@DiNKLB3RG’s SOP shared on The Modern Extractor podcast is the starting point for my dig into this arena.

Problem/Concern #1: he mentions that methanol is the most efficient solvent for extraction, I am concerned about the safety of using the ultrasound homogenizer directly in methanol - as I do not have a fume hood (have been using this equipment for basic nano emulsions so no need for one prior). I have a quality jacketed vessel that a chiller runs water through for sonication. I am still concerned about the methanol sparking as I do not have experience with this type of solvent.

Is anyone using a similar set-up and do you use a fume hood?

Alternate Solution/Problem #1.5: The SOP mentions 170 proof Ethanol or similar can be used as well - this seems safer and less volatile. However, beside the fact that the extract is primarily Psilicin due to degradation the water in the solvent causes - this degradation can continue and harm the yield if not dried out quickly.

Questions:

1. Any ideas for ways to dry the water out of the ethanol solution after the initial extraction but before winterization?

Conversely - can the solution be tinkered with by adding any additional components before winterization that will cause the water to separate and freeze up during winterization?

1. Let’s say the loss is accepted with eth extraction. Would a crude methanol extraction before and after sonication yield more of a stable full spectrum extract? My idea would be to let the plant material soak in methanol for 24 hours before filtering and cleaning up the extract via rotovap and vac oven. Then sonicate into ethanol - clean up. Then soak in methanol again for 24 hours.

2. Are there benefits of using a freeze drier at any point in this process? It’s the one piece I currently don’t have laying around but have wondered about the theory being using one.

This would of course result in two different extracts end result. But potentially a better overall extraction result given what I’m working with.

I understand that these ideas are probably not as efficient as most and a little crude. Trying to work with that I’ve got & learn in the process.

2 Likes

Highly suggest just following the SOP you have as close as possible befor you start making “tweaks” to it, might already be what your looking for and you would never know unless you follow the procedure :man_shrugging: just my 2 cents

3 Likes

You have some funny ideas.
Put mushrooms in mouth chew…drink some water and or vodka, swallow. Your ideas about “loss”…are misguided.

You get high from psilocin not psilocybin.

Two soaks in methanol for 24hrs each….? seriously.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply. Following the SOP with ethanol was my plan. Do you have any insight on the safety aspects of using an ultrasound homogenizer with methanol? Seems like a fume hood would be necessary. Safety first over here so I planned on just using ETH as mentioned in the podcast and working through the refinement process. Dinklb3rg seemed to really favor methanol as a solvent though. I’ll just work as quickly as possible to get the extracts dry.

I know some of what I mentioned probably seems whacky or ridiculous. I appreciate you guys highlighting that. They were just spitball ideas. I’m at the very beginning of my education on this topic.

Since we are spelling things out: if using a homogenizer, you’ll want a test tube rack and test tubes.

Please do not fill homogenizer with raw solvent* and mix the fruiting bodies like some sort of jungle juice witch culdron. It’s flammable, it stinks, and it’ll spill easily.

You’ll want a vac chamber to play with solvents like MeOH.

*Water only. If you want solvent in your homogenizer, use a zip lock with solvents in it, floating in the water. An air pocket in the bag will keep it off the bottom surface where the transducer is.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s good information. My ultrasound homogenizer unit is not a bath but a Q2000 unit with a horn.

How do those safety tips carry over?

I have seen videos posted by Heischler that show fruits in a 4:1 ethanol/water ratio like the jungle juice you mentioned.

I was curious on the safety of running the q2000 unit with methanol (and honestly ethanol) without a fume hood.

My Q2000 unit is currently setup in a soundproof enclosure with a stainless steel 5L jacketed stainless steel vessel hooked up to a chiller.

Was curious if maybe taking it out of the enclosure and setting up some sort of exhaust would be safer with the solvents. And if a fume hood was necessity safely use MeOH as solvent.

I have a rotovap and vac oven for cleaning up.