Proper procedure with ultrasonic cleaner

What’s the proper technique for using an ultrasonic cleaner? I just got a 30l off ebay along with some alconox thinking I could clean all my spd glass in it. Well luckily I just saw a post saying not to clean vacuum jacketed glass. But I just saw another one saying not to clean anything that’s going to be used under deep vacuum at all. so did I just basically screw myself over, what’s the real deal?
I’ve got a couple boiling flasks with a little char I’d love to clean back up to new.

1 Like

You read right. No glass that goes under vacuum or jacketed glass

1 Like

Copy that, thanks!

Ive been searching and searching but why can’t I find any documentation regarding this topic? I’d love to know the finer details. Anyone have any references?

So I couldn’t even run a boiling flask once for just enough time to clean it? It’s just crazy how they sell the cleaners saying that they’re the most delicate type of cleaning product lol.

You can do whatever you want, is it worth the risk? Certainly not.

Micro fractures in glass that you’re trying to get to as close to absolute vacuum as possible, while it’s hot, are a recipe for implosion.

1 Like

Thanks for the input! And I totally agree, I’m not trying to “limp through” I suppose I’m just looking for the data to support the warning :man_shrugging:

I don’t know of any data, Google doesn’t seem to have anything readily available. The way it was explained to me was that at certain junctions in jacketed glass, and in instances where stir bars put small scratches in the glass, the cavitation that occurs within enough proximity to these places can cause micro fractures that will inevitably compromise the glass.

Seems reasonable enough to me that I would rather get a magnetic scrubber and various cleaning solutions, than risk a piece of glass imploding in my face… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for that response!

I’m working with warm water and alconox right now with a stir bar at max. Otherwise I’ll be scrapping these for new ones if that doesn’t work lol.