Propane VS N-Butane extraction

I can almost bet if you had 20f fluid flowing through a collection that was 50/50 propane and butane. Just the propane would boil off, leaving quite literally all of the butane there, as it’s below its own boiling point. When mixed, they don’t become a new solvent.

10 Likes

When you look at how they seperate natural gas from the hydrocarboms it basically provides the answer, propane is recovered at the highest rate vs butane (90%) butane(75%), then pentane, then other heavier hydrocarbons (85-90%)

http://naturalgas.org/naturalgas/processing-ng/

2 Likes

I find it interesting that hexane and water are immiscible in each other BUT when boiled together as a mixture will form an azeotrope and cannot be separated by distillation. I had hoped to recover pure hexane from my LLE which used only water by distillation but I cannot because of this. Aseotropes are an odd creature and much of what is known to me seems more of an art form than a calculated function. They are hard to understand because they play be different rules seemingly according to which two solvents are used. Take isopropyl alcohol and water for instance.

The two form an azeotrope until the water becomes saturated with salt. Then the azeotrope is broken and in fact the two can then be separated by fractional distillation. I think too it becomes ambiguous as to what an azeotrope is exactly when pressures down at one micron are at play. I have a hard time envisionining ptecisely what constitutes a boil in a condition under which there is no system pressure as a practical matter. I mean, if boiling temp depends on system pressure but there is no system pressure as a practical matter then what precisely is the boiling pressure at say one micron versus one half micron?

In my bedroom back woods tye-dyed lab it is seen that pressures below about 20 microns start to behave differently than a flask boiling above that pressure. This speaks to my amatuer status but it sure seems then like the spin bar speed can even play a role in “boiling point” only because collection of disty changes according to stir bar speed seemingly when thevstirvcar changes but the temp stays the same.

I am going to take a puff now and ponder… :sunglasses: @cyclopath might know. He knows everything… Hey @cyclopath!

PS… I am breaking tradition and puffing kief today! Venturing out into the green world lol but sometimes I just gotta hit some kief. It is not that good to me after all the resin I used but it is a nice liesurely afternoon. Not so brain numbing.

12 Likes

Aside from tagging you, I was thinking about you this morning. I hope treatment is going well and you in good health.

8 Likes

Thanks. It really does mean a lot. My chemo is doing well and seems to be holding the cancer at bay. Unfortunately by the time the tumor had escaped the liver it is now free to spread. Truth is that my treatment now falls into the quality of life treatment mode and no quantity of life. The drugs will extrend and make comfortable but there is not a cure when it gets like this.

I am honestly ok with this. It is just part of the deal we get when born and as for me I am using my time to enjoy myself. Fewer labs because I have other things to bang out but I still want to find a practical way to remove green by LLE. Physically there are days the pain is high and so I use morphine which works. I figure I have had a nice long life and now want to focus on playing with the dog and walking by the river. I unfortunately had to put down my sick grayhound, the female, from liver failure and that bumbed me out but life is life I guess.

Thanks for the inquiry. It helps to know people think of me. :sunglasses: It speaks highly of you.

38 Likes

Thank you for tagging me, @Dred_pirate! You inspired me to write another treatise on extraction chemistry, here:

Extraction & van der Waals Force

At least I kept the TLDR out of your thread, @Merakian_Hash, right? :grin:

I hope you’re doing well, @Beaker! Call me some time!

10 Likes

I’m glad you have a positive outlook. It does sadden me to know that one day we will have our last exchange. I will make it a mission to visit you and adsorb some of your knowledge to pass on to another generation.

Until then, enjoy good hash. And I hope to bring you some hash as well.

17 Likes

So if I read that right and from what picked up from everyone, pressure can change the condition

We are not recovering at zero psi…more like 5-20max(in the collection), will this change it. I still believe they go differently but I’m interested does this matter. Scientific stand point

1 Like

I’m absolutely loving the italics

3 Likes

I have to start using it more

1 Like

This is a test of using the iOS feature that lets me cooy and drag from any app on my iPad It would save a gob of time with some of my sketches…

If I am limited in how
i communicate then this really helps.Breatfast first then Imconquer the world… one dab at a time…

8 Likes

Wow!!! it worked great to copy and paste from iMessage just the
Graphic that I wrote. Then I drug it over and dropped in the f4200 window no problems.

5 Likes

Simple snaps of your process will be much easier to pass along.

7 Likes

I havent seen this addressed Anywhere.

So my question is if mixes of different tanes/propane. if They have different boiling point. Wouldnt they separate in the tane bottle and come out at different times also. So if you weren’t using all the tane in your bottle wouldnt the mixture be different.

Like if i were to buy a tank of 70/30 and was topping off a smaller bottle.

2 Likes

Continued here

1 Like

I see how this would apply if you blended yourself and used everything in the bottle you blended.

So im wondering if a 22lb bottle of 7030 is 15.4 lbs and 6.6lbs. Wouldnt the propane come out first until the 6.6lbs was gone .

If you are allowing your solvent to evaporate out of your tank and condense in your extraction vessel then yes. However, if you’re flowing solvent out of the liquid dip tube then it will come out at whatever ratio the liquid is in inside the tank.

4 Likes

I just thought that the different boiling points would would cause a different resting temp of each which would cause layering

1 Like

Nah, they totally miscible with each other regardless of pressure and temp. Of course, butane might start freezing before propane does.

3 Likes

Cool very good to know. I picked up 7030 n and was thinking i might need to pull out the propane in a different tank.
Yep i start reading stuff and confused myself

1 Like