Project Perseus: The Medusa Killer

Kudos to @SolventDirect_BigM as the pro bono source of @thesk8nmidget diethanolamine standard sample!

8 Likes

See Butane contamination demystified for Medusa team update:

Butane Contaminant Demystified - Hash and Stuff / Extraction - Future4200

2 Likes

Solvent direct sent out a news letter claiming it wasn’t methanol

Lemme see if I can find the email

(Not siding with them I actually found it quite funny they were basically saying @Dukejohnson was wrong)

1 Like

I mean, it’s kinda true. The methanol isn’t the cause of the fast crash, but the cause of the irregular formations. The amines is the cause of the fast crash

11 Likes

Since you’re stating it as a fact, can you prove this?

You can take a below the analytical testing limit amount of methanol and create Medusa stones?

Same question, emphasis on below the analytical testing limit since that’s why we can’t prove it with testing, but replace methanol with diethanolamine and Medusa stones with fast crash?

I mean aren’t you guys all trying to sale bandaids based off these claims?

As an aside, for those of you who believe I am complaining instead of trying to fix the problem. It’s not my problem. I’m one of the magically immune processors in the country. Not that I haven’t put hours into hunting down potential leads in case I suddenly become a victim since we still don’t know what causes it for sure.

I am not suggesting the problem doesn’t exist either, clearly it does. I’m just suggesting we shouldn’t say it is a fact that the contaminant is methanol or diethanolamine until we know that’s true.

I’d hate to hear we lost another member of the forum due to misinformation being provided by trusted members in an effort to increase profits or sway market shares. If I’m wrong, it shouldn’t be that hard to shut me up, with proof.

Everyone wants a rotovap or an ffe or whatever solvent recovery speed claims to be accurate and verifiable if a person is going to try to make money from a claim, but suddenly none of that matters anymore?

To prove mystery oil the guy had to literally show us mystery oil. To prove TrueTerps was lying ninja-whatever had to get someone to actually pony up for testing.

10 Likes

2 Likes

I get the same feeling. Some folks are guessing and they have no background in the testing and research of anything close to this and others are figuring out how to line their pockets. Some folks are just happy the thca is crashing that fast as they re-x in pentane.

2 Likes

Ya @SolventDirect completely missed that even after I’ve explained it so many times. Plus their test was honestly pretty… funny. Lots of noise, strange unidentified peaks and no information on what their samples came from. Plus the “carryover” wtf is that. Shouldn’t a blank be ran before the sample? Idk
Again, uneducated dumbass here that makes diamonds from luck :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Has anyone actually MSed some Medusa stones to actually see what the molecular weight is? If you’re salting out thc the molecular weight of the thc itself should change and an MS is the perfect way to tell this I haven’t been following the telegram chat but the last time I read through it before I changed my # we were still assuming something was salting out the thc

3 Likes

The unidentified peaks need further testing to identify what they are. I’m sure working closely with Rami you’ve seen that a lot of these variables need completely different types of testing, some of which aren’t available in every state. The tightened info on where the test came from was actually my doing as the facility I was in at the time was under contract with a solvent supplier. Having @SolventDirect come down and do testing while bringing other tanks for us to try just screamed potential for drama. So I asked them to not release any info other than it was from a brand new cylinder. The test was from a tank from Westair

4 Likes

Would love to get you involved. Join here.

From our 8/28/22 Newsletter: “One can’t conclude much from this single experiment either, but it is consistent with the observations of @Rami_Rodriguez and @Dukejohnson on Future4200.”

1 Like

A comment on the Solvent Direct 23Jul22 Study.and with all due respect to Dr.R’s work…
Dr. R. Reports experimental work with CBDA as a substitute for THCA because of legal problems.
The solubilities of CBDA are SO different from THCA in both aprotic and protic solvents modeling THCA crystallization with CBDA cyrstallization…has certain conceptual problems.
He notes only experimental case of ethanol-amine forming classic amine salts with CBDA. Does anyone even know of an example of CBDA fast crashing* from HEMP BHO? Please advise.
But rereading the note…I see he clearly states these ambiguities. Dr. R only mentions his intuitive guess about methanol…and clearly states such.

The Title of the article posted above…STUDY INDICATES METHANOL NOT SUFFICIENT TO CAUSE FAST CRASH…
Is flawed/Misleading, as Dr. R. Mentions no “study” of Methanol.
If you want to know information concerning MeOH effect on
Crystallization of THCA from (raw or crc’d) butane solution
You need to use THCA.
I now think this blurb may be an advertisement…and Dr. R probably did not write the title…

You can find a bit of info on MeOH complexes with salicylic acid
On google.

*. Here I mean a small amount of material acting catalytically to
Promote rapid crystallization of RCOOH dimers ….I do not mean an equimolar amount of amine precipitating an amine-carboxylate 1:1 salt. But I have to admit…the phenomenon of the fast crash is not exactly well defined…so do not take my ad hoc concepualization as anything but a guess.
Certainly we should weigh:

As noted above.
This note was heavily edited from original post…

14 Likes

@AshevilleExtracts does butane on higher quality cbdA material. I don’t know how much he’s on here. But, I can wrangle him into the conversation, as this would benefit him, in certain aspects.

5 Likes

This should be the project mascot

6 Likes

I’ll start revising designs now :joy:

3 Likes

I have not been experiencing the Medusa diamonds yet. I am still working through a pallet of butane I have had for awhile.
I am concerned about it though.

3 Likes