Profits & Growth: "I know I'm making a profit, but I don't know where it is."

I hear this all the time from entrepreneurs in my circle.

Things are going well. You have a product that costs you $5 a unit, and you sell it for $15 on average. You’re selling a lot of units-- let’s say 5,000 per month for a monthly gross profit of $50,000.

Let’s say you have rent & utilities of $3,000/month. 5 employees that cost you $20,000/month all-in. Legal, marketing, travel, supplies, and other general operating expenses of $5,000/month, on average. You’re still making $2,000 monthly payments on that credit card you used to start the business with.

Simple math tells you that you should be making $20,000 per month, but for some reason it’s stressful to take out $5k/month for yourself, and growing seems out of the question.

Where are my profits going?

This is part 4 of my How to Build Multi-Million Dollar Brands’ series. Find part 1 here: How to Build Multi-Million Dollar Brands -- Ask Me Anything!

I studied finance in college and it was a breeze for me because I loved it so much. My business partner is a CPA who graduated top of his class from the #7 accounting program.

Still, this was always a big question & point of confusion for us after finally getting a business off the ground.

Analyzing these situations in a classroom is one thing. Working through it when it’s your own money on the line and while you wear so many hats is another.

There are a few key elements at play. You don’t need to be an accountant or have in-depth, up-to-date, formal financial statements to understand & leverage them.

1. Accrual Accounting vs Cash Accounting
  2. Free Cash Flow vs Net Profit
  3. Inventory Inflation / Inventory Turnover
  4. Practical Examples from my Business

Accrual Accounting vs Cash Accounting

For tax purposes, you generally get to choose what method of accounting you will use to calculate profit and pay taxes.

From the IRS:

Under the cash method, you generally report income in the tax year you receive it, and deduct expenses in the tax year in which you pay the expenses. Under the accrual method, you generally report income in the tax year you earn it, regardless of when payment is received.

Cash Accounting means you calculate profit by looking at what money came in during a period, minus what money went out. This is usually best for small businesses’ tax purposes, because you can realize the expense of inventory as you pay for it. So in the short-term, you can lower your cash accounting profit, and thus tax liability, assuming you are paying for goods on receipt (and not on terms – see part 2: [PART 2 - Net30 Terms] How to Build Multi-Million Dollar Brands )

When using Accrual Accounting, you realize an expense until the good purchased is sold, service is rendered, etc. So you’re matching up the date of COGS (cost of goods sold) for a particular good with the date you sold that particular good. This is how you’re thinking about profit in your head when you think to yourself “I know I am making a profit, but where is it?”

Accrual Accounting can be better for tax purposes if you are generally paying late on everything. ie. Paying for goods on terms, paying employees & contractors after services are performed, paying rent at the end of the month instead of the beginning, etc.

These concepts are, of course, more nuanced than I have explained here. But the important thing to understand is that if you know you’re making a profit but don’t see it, it’s because you are making an accrual profit, but not necessarily a cash profit.

Free Cash Flow vs Net Profit

Having a cash profit for a time period means you have Free Cash Flow that you can pay yourself with and invest in growth.

It is actually possible to have a cash profit but not an accrual profit. This happens if you are paying for goods some significant time period after receipt and selling + collecting payment for them before you pay for them, and paying for employees + services after gaining the benefit, BUT ultimately making no gross profit or small gross profit swallowed up by operating expenses. This is really the opposite of what this post is addressing and an unusual scenario for a small business owner in this space, but this is not good either.

Having an accrual profit means your sales minus COGS for those sales minus operating expenses in a period were over $0, AKA a Net Profit. Net Profit under $0 is also known as a Net Loss, or a negative Net Profit.

What we’re talking about in this post is having a positive accrual profit (Net Profit), but negative cash profit (Free Cash Flow). In this circumstance, it is tough to pay yourself, tough to pay down debt, tough to invest in growth, and tough to weather storms.

You want to optimize for free cash flow, not net profit.

The tricky part is re-optimizing your business to create Free Cash Flow without making your Net Profit negative, having to downsize staff, and / or failing to maintain enough inventory to fulfill orders, keep customers, and collect revenue.

Inventory Inflation / Inventory Turnover

The most frequent cause of negative Free Cash Flow + positive Net Profit that I see is Inventory Inflation, and as a consequence, slow Inventory Turnover.

Inventory Inflation simply means having more inventory than you need. Inventory Turnover is a metric that measures how fast you sell-through your average on-hand inventory levels (you want this to be low to produce Free Cash Flow & ROI).

Usually when people ask me why they don’t see the profit they know they make, I can identify the problem quickly by asking:

1. How much inventory do you keep / have on-hand now vs some time ago?
  2. How much inventory do you have on-hand vs how much you sell every 2 weeks?

Most owners’ profit is found in higher than previous, higher than necessary inventory levels.

It’s important to track & manage inventory like a hawk.

1. Figure out how much finished product (ready-to-sell) inventory you need to keep on-hand. In most cases, this should equal 2 weeks of sales on a sku-by-sku basis.
  2. Figure out how much raw material inventory you need to keep to meet production schedules that ensure you maintain 2 weeks of finished goods inventory on-hand. I like to keep 1 week, when possible.
  3. Consider what constraints will make hitting these metrics difficult or impossible.

Sometimes it’s just not possible to meet these numbers. Here are a few reasons why…

Sales volume is volatile, so maintaining 2 weeks of finished goods inventory will cause you to be out of stock frequently when sales spike.

SOLUTION(S):
(a) Maintain a larger finished goods inventory that can handle those spikes.
(b) Find a way to smooth out sales volume into something more consistent & steady. ie. Ask customers to buy less but more frequently, and honor the same bulk price – price on monthly purchase volume rather than single-purchase volume. Pro-Tip: If you can get them to agree to pay full-price in the short term, then credit back at the end of a month or quarter based on the volume they purchased, this is ideal.

Your supplier(s) won’t give you prices you can make money on if you don’t buy enough at once.

SOLUTION(S):
(a) Ask supplier(s) to let you buy less but more frequently, and honor the same bulk price – price on monthly purchase volume rather than single-purchase volume. Pro-Tip: Unlike above for customers, you don’t want credits back but instead the same bulk price on every small purchase.
(b) Ask the supplier for better payment terms – best case, you pay for product 30, 60, or even 90 days after receiving it.
(c) Secure financing. It’s tough in this business, particularly if you have poor personal credit / no collateral. In that case, focus on solution #2. Otherwise, even a credit card with a high interest rate isn’t a bad idea if you are cautious, and you can usually get 0% APR for the first XX months.

Lead times are too long.

SOLUTION(S):
(a) Order smaller and with greater frequency if you can get the same price to smooth out your COGS over the long-run.
(b) Find a supplier with lower lead times, even if it means paying a higher but still work-able price. This is more ideal, because long lead times don’t just force you to hold too much inventory-- they also make it tough to keep up with growing demand.

The above issues and solutions assume you are already cautious with inventory and manage it better than average.

Too often, I see people making these beginner mistakes…

1. Buying large amounts of inventory just so they don’t have to bother with ordering often. Order weekly, if you can. Don’t be lazy.
  2. Always optimizing procurement for the lowest possible price, and largely ignoring lead times + appropriate stock levels. Depending on your gross margins, and price differences, it is often better to pay more more to get lower lead times and lower purchase quantities.

Practical Examples from my Business

When it comes to procuring labels & boxes, unit prices fall sharply with volume. If you can, you generally want to buy at the volume where volume discounts drop to a negligible level.

It is proper to buy more when volume discounts are so substantial that the benefit to ROI of these discounts to overall profitability is greater than the benefit of turning over inventory faster.

Because there is so much up-front expense for a print company to make product for you, unit prices can be $10 per box in low quantities like 1,000. Get to 10,000 and the price is now $1.25/piece. 20,000 and it’s $.70/piece.

Practically the same total cost no matter how many you buy.

But then maybe you get to 40,000 and the price is $.60 per piece. That’s a much lower % discount-- you should buy 20,000. We call this diminishing marginal utility / return.

We now buy 3 to 4 months worth of boxes & labels, and pay 90 days after receipt (negotiated with supplier). So everything is mostly sold / used before we pay. Even though our inventories are bloated, it doesn’t harm our free cash flow.

If we could grow 3x so that buying 1 month of inventory got us the same price, we would buy every month, still with 90-day payment terms. We would effectively be borrowing the total cost of each order for 2 months at an effective interest expense equal to the unit savings we would realize if we still purchased 90 days worth of stock multiplied by the order quantity of 1 month’s worth of stock. That interest rate is exceeded by our business’ ROI.

Jars from China

The price we pay for jars ordering direct from China is ~60% lower than if we buy domestically with 1 week lead times. Contrary to my advice in this post, we still buy from China – paying cash up-front with 3 month lead times – because the savings are so significant. To buy domestic would be an effective ~600% APR. Our ROI does not exceed that interest rate.

Wrapping Up

Manage inventory carefully. Cost of inventory on-hand is usually the biggest component of the denominator when calculating ROI, and it’s the usual suspect when diagnosing low or negative free cash flow.

Thoughts? I’m curious as to how much practical sense this makes for everyone. If it’s digestible and you guys want to go deeper, I can share (a) how to calculate ROI and use it to decide whether to accept higher lead times & cash-up-front terms in exchange for discounts & vice versa, (b) potential financing options and their impact on free cash flow + net profit, and (c) models for executing on the guidance in this post.

As always, questions welcome. Please ask in the thread if you don’t mind so others can learn, too.

26 Likes

This is why you were voted Member of the Month! I just released the episode we did! Here it is:

https://sidcocat.com/podcast/episode-011-future4200-com-member-of-the-month-covid-69/

5 Likes

Nice!!

Will give it a listen when I get over the dread of hearing my own voice :joy: :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

An excellent read for everyone… from those that don’t have a clue to those that believe they know it all!

The key to success in any endeavor is to truly understand the basic nuts and bolts… profit and loss being a major part of that understanding. Back in the day, my form of accounting was on the inside of a match book cover in code with only two columns…pay and owe.

Later, when things became a bit more legit, an accountant handled it all. I never really knew at any given time where I was at and basically had to depend on that accountant for information. Then came computers and accounting software. At first it seemed learning to keep and understand my financial status was going to be an unachievable process. After coming to grips with the concept of approaching the task like eating an elephant… you do it one bite at a time… things became much simpler.

Now, I am able to handle the day to day accounting for a couple of small c-corps and multiple llc’s. An hour or so every morning keeps things current while giving me a live view on what is happening and where I stand.

At the end of the year I still make the hand off to the accountant, but I already know what is coming…it is very satisfying. It is also much less stressful when the possibility of surprises is taken out of the equation. Anyone embarking on the path to business ownership could do themselves a big favor obtaining the appropriate software and learning about silly things like cash flow, profit/loss, and balance sheets

Understanding exactly where you stand financially at any given moment provides a clear view of which path to take when you come to those inevitable forks in the road

6 Likes

Very wise words here.

It is an easy thing to shy away from. Not only is accounting dreadfully boring, it can also be incredibly stressful to work on.

One of those challenges you just have to show up & face. And you show up, and show up, and show up despite the dread & stress, and like anything, it just gets easier.

Somehow I was acing tests in my finance classes with little study and no attendance, but I barely passed online Accounting 1 & 2. Now, the kind of accounting covered here is 2nd nature to me after looking at it so much in a practical environment.

That is true for when I first started…the IRS and financials had always been the boogyman. Now, it is incredibly stressful not to work on and not knowing. The cannabis industry seems to contain a significant amount of potholes and speedbumps. When I am up to date it gives me the opportunity to avoid those road hazzards or at least slow down on approach…nothing inhibits forward motion like a busted rim or a blown tire

2 Likes

Same❤️

2 Likes

@Distributionly – are you still around lately?

You normally carry my threads :slightly_smiling_face: Curious to hear how you think about this topic.

2 Likes

The second I saw the title of this thread I thought you are talking about our company :joy: even though we are not in retail industry. I have the whole sales/marketing team to read your previous thread on how to build brands. Now I will have other department to read this thread. Very helpful

2 Likes

What should I write about next? :slightly_smiling_face:

I can offer expertise on most things sales / marketing / finance / recruiting

I have little to offer in the realms of management / science / med+rec / supply chain

2 Likes

Operating a successful brick and mortar thread would be excellent, I am opening my hemp product store this month and could use some pointers

I feel like I could use a paid consult from you to get my company back on track. I need to see a tax professional first but don’t be surprised when I slide in the DMs in a few weeks

1 Like

Pricing strategy is the thing I got the least exposure to in college, I’ve been wanting to learn more about that

1 Like

Let me think on this and see if I can come up with enough untainted advice.

I say untainted because I have plenty of advice I give my retail partners but it’s only that which is both sincere & self-serving – part of selling to retail.

My biggest untainted pointers–

1. Read the OP here, then read it again. Inventory management is critical. You bloat your inventory – you suppress your ROI and your flexibility. It can put you out of business. Order small & order often. Track movement so you can ‘build to’ 2 weeks of inventory SKU-by-SKU.

2. Your people are everything. Customers have a million choices for where to go. Customers will drive out of their way and pay higher prices if the people behind the counter are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, helpful, and treat them like friends. #1 differentiator I see between great stores and ok stores.

3. Keep a clean shop. Bathroom in particular, if applicable. For gas stations especially, a lot more people than you think stop where they do because the bathroom is clean.

4. Don’t negotiate hard with vendors. Prices are what they are, mostly. It’s a fool’s game. Focus on volume via customer service.

5. Do not undercut the competition on single pack prices. Price at MSRP or even above. Give deals on multi-pack purchases. This way you get full profit from people who don’t care about price AND appease the value shoppers, too. (@pdxcanna here’s one for you)

6. Don’t carry too many products. Carry the right products. Look up the Trader Joes case studies on this. Trader Joe founder had a chain of convenience stores first. His studies showed that when he offered samples of 64 different jellies, 60% of customers sampled and ~4% bought. When he offered samples of 6 jellies, 60% of customers sampled again but 35% bought. Decision fatigue kills purchase conversion. Too big a product selection kills inventory turnover ratio and revenue per sq ft.

7. Focus on revenue per sq ft. High profit items merchandised in the best spots.

8. Know your flagship items in each segment for when customers ask for recommendations. Know what you will upsell to or downsell to depending on their feedback. Train your staff on this.

That was more than I thought would come to mind. I’ll make a full thread later if I think I have more.

2 Likes

Maybe. But I don’t do paid consults. Write out a list of specific, thoughtful questions and let me answer here so everyone can learn :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

What questions does this leave you with?

1 Like

so pretty much just a mix of cost-plus and market pricing based on the products?

1 Like

Moving warehouses is no easy task these days. With limited help available and not getting many companies that could work with our timeline I made a blunder thinking we could do it all.

I have had barely time to eat in the last six weeks once a day and I am big man who needs lots of food lol you can imagine the kind of days I am having.

You normally have very informative posts I don’t see how this could be different. Will add my 2 cents perhaps in another week or two once I am done moving :smile:

3 Likes

All good brother!! Just miss ya around here. Best of luck with it and let me know if by some chance there is anything I can do to help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kind of. You want to try and set aside your costs when setting prices— don’t anchor off of your cost. Price on value to the consumer and consistency with your positioning, then make sure you’re not too far above the competition & not losing money.

I have products where my gross margin is 50%. AKA I am selling for double my cost. I basically only break-even after operating expenses, though. That’s fine, because these products enable sales of my high-margin goods. ‘Cost leaders’

I also have products where I 4x or 5x my money. My margins are never even across products because I am not anchoring off costs.

Blended together, I run 70% to 75% average gross margins. This beats the industry standard of 65% for a brand, but it’s a little tight given we are playing distributor, too.

Forgot to link this thread, too. It goes into more depth on my last paragraph. PART 3 - Fair Retail / Consumer Pricing [HBMMDB] - #17 by COVID-69

Together most of what I know about pricing.

4 Likes