Producer/Processor Software Opportunity

Lets talk about the huge opportunity for a process tracking software that integrates with state compliancy software. Why is this not a thing yet? We are currently running multiple facilities and using google shared sheets to keep everything updated, pretty frustrating when you’re processing literally tons of biomass a month and submitting upwards of 50 test a week. Software companies are only developing solutions for retail, but it seems producer/ processors make significantly more entries and changes into state mandated tracking. Companies like leaf data systems, biotrack, S2, metrc, keep the state happy but the processor is left to create their own system which they need to constantly reconcile with sate traceability. This is not only tedious and expensive, but creates errors. I dream of a single software with a handheld device which can scan barcodes, split lots, submit testing, do conversions, print barcodes, adjust lots, etc while also automatically updating state compliancy software, eliminating the need for a double system. It would also create usable data sheets that could show yields, production metrics, trends, outliers, etc which can be also shared with producing partners. Its very common in other industries but creating these systems from scratch is very costly. What has everyone else been doing to track lots in regulated industries?

5 Likes

METRC doesn’t even have a location field!
how can you track anything without a location field?
“yeah, it’s in the 40,00sq ft warehouse somewhere…” at least according to the database.

Biotrack has a location field, but last time I used it, that field was write only. scanning a barcode gets you to the item record, but the location field is inaccessible. So you may have the item in your hand, but have no way of knowing where the computer thinks it is!

I’ve gotten into heated “discussions” with the heads of biotrack & METRC on how poorly their tracking solutions work for processors.

I went as far as taking the API training course for METRC, because the only viable solution I could see was to build something myself. Processing cannabis was more of a priority, so I don’t currently have any tools to offer. I’d love to take part in any community driven attempt to solve this. I can see much of what is required, but as a biologist I don’t have quite the programming skills required to solve it.

5 Likes

I took a look at “Icicle,” a software system from Canada targeting large-scale food manufacture, that had a lot of features of interest. Recipe management, raw material inventory, lot tracking. Their rep gave a pretty thorough remote demo by phone, with a live web link to show it working. They are definitely interested in this industry, maybe more so now that our north- of- the-border neighbors are going full legal!

3 Likes

That sounds outstanding.

I’ve setup multiple ERP type systems that do all of these things, but the one that comes to mind is erpnext.com with REST/RPC API it would make integration fairly trivial after all the leg work of setting up the workflows and modules has been done.

Demo: https://demo.erpnext.com/desk

3 Likes

A facility I did work at uses Adilas for theirs. It’s OK at best, but integrates with METRC.

1 Like

We have zero experience with it, but have heard not terrible things about Trellis. Have a product demo coming up from them soonish.
Ample Organics is apparently great but really only built for the Canada market.

@Derek what do you need it to do? besides make use of those ubiquitous pay-for-play barcodes? Anyone else?

I know what I’d like to see, and I’m trying to formalize what needs built. Heading to the METRC user group meeting in Portland tomorrow to see what others are after.

“A single software with a handheld device which can scan barcodes, split lots, submit testing, do conversions, print barcodes, adjust lots, etc while also automatically updating state compliancy software, eliminating the need for a double system. It would also create usable data sheets that could show yields, production metrics, trends, outliers, etc which can be also shared with producing partners.”

State compliancy software is far from adequate for process tracking, making two tracking systems necessary. Trying to eliminate that

2 Likes

agreed. subject is also being discussed over here.

got a couple of candidates you might want to check out…

1 Like

Kanha, amazing software. Purpose built by the ex CIO of microsoft. Reach out and I can connect you

2 Likes

Contract software developer here. Also avid extraction enthusiast with a home setup that i’ve been working on writing homebrew software for collection and interpretation of data (similar to a LIMS but way dumbed down at the moment). Would love to talk more about the producer/processor side and what that could look like in software.

1 Like

Flourish has developed an enterprise-level platform that is fully integrated to METRC and provides licenses to Cultivators, Manufacturers, Processors, Distributors and Retailers.

Please connect me!!

1 Like

Lets connect off line! Would love to discuss some stuff with you. jasynte@totaleaf.com

2 Likes

leaf logix

1 Like

As a producer/processor in the legal business for 5 years in Washington I have lived the traceability nightmare. I started building my own software 3 years ago and use it to track inventory, supplies, print customized labels and much more. I have spent a bunch of money building this software to run my company and am very happy with it. I have not had time to commercialize it, but I’d someone is interested let me know. My business depends on this software and I couldn’t imagine running my company without it.

2 Likes

Batchbud, which was started by Leaflink team & focused on extractors & manufacturers. It’s Metrc integrated but also has traceability for non-cannabis goods (if you’re going for cGMP). It has the ability to track any production data points and convert that data into visual reports. The biggest thing though is the MRP (material resource planning) feature that converts sales forecasts into production schedules & purchase orders for your materials.

If you’re looking for the grow side, Trym is considered one of the best right now, closely followed by Flourish. A lot more tools are available if you’re hemp-focused and don’t need Metrc integration (Artemis is the best of what I’ve seen).

We are using flourish software with the integration with metrcs and I think it works pretty well so far