Problems with bicarb water wash of D8

I’ve been having trouble periodically when neutralizing my acid on a Delta 8 conversion with the bicarb seemingly curdling after spinning it in solution. I am now running a customer’s full batch of provided distillate and it is happening almost every time now. The only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of reaction happening with the Organics in the distillate and the bicarb… possibly have dirty distillate that wasn’t filtered properly? Has anyone else had issues like this before?

1 Like

What’s your mix for that particular wash?
From the pic it looks like you didn’t homogenize the bicarbonate with the water before introducing into the reactor?

1 Like

Nope we mix bicarb with water then add. I think its bad distillate from a provider, some is rock solid and the others are an apple sauce consistency and whe I tasted the oil it burned my tongue and the back of my throat. I feel it could be neem oil or something that was on the plant and got into the oil

2 Likes

How much and which type of hydrocarbon is the distillate in when you add the water/bicarb mix?

How much of that brine did you add?

Does salt make a difference?

1 Like

Run an LLE on a little of the distillate to see if that only drops out after the reaction. If it happens before, it’s a problem with the quality of the distillate, for sure. If not, it could be an issue with your process.

3 Likes

Maybe the distillate has been cut with something?

1 Like

It would be cool to hear more tall about pKa. I believe this is an issue with the pKa and things are salting out. When this has happened to me in the past adding hcl and lowering the ph helped bring everything back into solution

2 Likes

We are running a one-to-one reaction in heptane and running 30 of oil at a time so that is 30 L of heptane. When it comes to performing LLE we use 8 gallons of water with 2,500 of bicarb and then mix for 30 minutes and let separate after that. Typically it always separates but it seems random that this happens. We have found it to be a certain batch of oil thats doing it so my guess is lipds and fats so im going to try a methanol test, but it could be something like neem oil. I tasted the oil and it burned my tongue and back of my throat so that can’t be good.

That’s a ton of base. What calculation are you basing that off of?

1 Like

Did you checked if the reaction was achieved.
It could be just unreacted cbd crashing.

1 Like

Maybe your ph is to high.
Try with citric acid and more water so the canabinoids jump again in the organic layer.
Just a suggestion…

May need more solvent or try salting it out as @AlexSiegel mentioned.

Anytime I’ve had this similar issue was it needed more solvent. Basically forms an emulsion of d8, heptane, and water.

3 Likes

As @Zack_illuminated suggested, perhaps there isnt enough solvent. My first move to fix that emulsion would be dilution

6 Likes

He probably created an emulsion mixing for 30 minutes so concentrated

I’d dilute with more heptane and add some more water with a shit ton of salt to help force it to seperate

2 Likes

I’d dilute first then ph test then brine as needed. No need to add a bunch of shit if unwarranted

2 Likes

It’s something in the distillate. I run a more concentrated bicarb solution and mix for 30 minutes and never have had that issue

I’ll try doing this and tune in once I’ve tried. Thank you!

If that doesn’t work add some low pH water

It seems emulsions break easier when acidic

1 Like

3 easiest ways to break an emulsion:

1. Centrifuge
  2. Acidification
  3. Dripping emulsion into standing nonpolar solvent to dilute.
2 Likes