Priming a pump

I’m using a double diaphragm pump from ARO. It’s the one beaker and wrench sell. I am fairly familiar with the concept of priming a pump but we recently have had major issues.

The pump turns over only when it wants to. Even when it turns over it does not create any suction. There is plenty of fluid in the line and there is little to no air in the line. If I use the air compressor feed line to bypass the pump and flush the filter with air, nothing happens. I thought that maybe my air compressor feed line was clogged but it still is able to turn the pump over sometimes. When it does turn over, it sometimes is a violent burst of rotations and then stops all together. Is my impeller clogged? Any ideas?

Just trying to figure this out here on superbowl sunday… :frowning:

diaphragm or inner oring issues

1 Like

I’d tear it the #%$@ apart…

at this point it sounds like you have nothing to lose.

if you’ve been pumping tincture with it, the terps may have eaten the o-rings. if you’re lucky it’s just the cannabinoid based sealant you’ve been running through and needs cleaned. It may potentially also be ppt sugars.

If you don’t want to tear into it just yet, try feeding it hot water for a bit and see if it wants to play nice. then clean solvent.

1 Like

I cant flush it with any fluid at this point

not on a diaphragm pump.
they lack impellers :wink:

but I suspect “clogged” and “needs cleaned internally” are safe bets on diagnosis.
if you’ve been pumping tincture intermittently, there is reasonable cause to suspect semi-cured resin in there as your primary cause of failure. the fact that it plays sometimes is consistent.

2 Likes

…leaving dissect it or replace it.

aka: autopsy or life-saving surgery :wink:

Edit: glad you got it solved. I misread why you couldn’t flush (mid process).pulling the pump to flush it would probably have also keyed you into the real culprit.

the check balls may be stuck as well, could be a simple fix.

2 Likes

My filter was clogged with a biomass wad in a place that I did not notice

2 Likes

busted!

I just like tearing stuff apart :wink:

2 Likes

Good

I’ll send you my brand new welch 1400b that’s been sitting for 4 months and I noticed a small quarter sized drip of vac oil under the pump. Hope it’s an easy fix

Fn bs ig you ask me.

Good call!