Pressure in tank raising a little every day

Hey guys . So I’m using 70/30 ntane and propane. Probably still some iso butane from before as well. Pressure was around 60 when I put 25 lbs in. Now it’s down to 8 lbs left and it’s at 80 I do n2 assist sometime but I’m always sure to purge it off. When i purge off the tank it’s straight propane. Should I be concerned?

1 Like

Mixes will eventually become richer in propane over time due to it being recovered first.

There’s a few threads about it.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I was thinking it got more butane rich but yeah that makes sense. So 80 psi is run of mil pressure for propane?

If there isn’t more propane just a higher ratio does that explain the increase in pressure? It’s the same amount of not less than when I filled it, right?

I dunno personally, I never have run straight propane.

If my mix gets to around 70 psi at room temp I change my gas out, used to anyway. I’m running straight n tane now.

(mind you, I’m small time, my runs are a qp at a time at most. My tank is tiny lol)

2 Likes

Word. Yeah mines only 2.5 lb cls. I upgraded from a 1/2 lb tamisium. Know all about tiny tanks lol

1 Like

I’d burp down to 50 psi. Epa limit on propane waste per day should be taken into account

3 Likes

wrap your head around this graphic…

Butane/ Propane recovery rates - #6 by anon13684764 (read the rest of the thread too…)

edit: this one wouldn’t hurt either…Blending Solvents - #10 by cyclopath

3 Likes

2 Likes

by my count that is at least the 5th time we’ve stolen that graphic :wink:

3 Likes

Lol I was operating under pubic domain rules lol

what’s in your tank?

So it’s the ratio more than the amount? That’s what’s hard for me to wrap my head around

yep. so long as liquid and gas are at equilibrium, the pressure indicates the RATIO.

your 100lb tank will read the same pressure with 5lb or 50lb of 100% propane (or blend…but a differernt pressure)

ALL the liquid needs to become gas before that pressure will drop…

1 Like

Started with 40/40/20 then I’ve been topping off with 70/30 so I’m guessing at this point it’s mostly propane. Was chilling around 60 now it’s at 80psi

It looks like if your tank is around 70f, 80psi would be a 70/30 propane/butane mix.

2 Likes

you guys think i can recover propane with my trs 21 and just regular ice on my coil instead of dry ice?