Press tip cart top keeps popping off

My press tip cartridge tops keep on pooping after after I fill them and press the tops on…what am I doing wrong??

Overfilling

Not pressing cap correctly/ enough to seal the tip.

What carts are you using?

2 Likes

I don’t think I’m overfilling because I use a metered syringe but I could be wrong… I’m using g5 cartridges. I also use a press to press the tip on, maybe I’m not putting the tip on properly?

They’re knock off ccells. Probably paying around $.60 right? It’s the hardware, you’re doing nothing wrong. I can get you those same carts for $1, can include a logo/engraving too.

Orr… you’re not pushing them in all the way. They make presses for those that cost like $100

2 Likes

So it has nothing to do with the pressure in the cartridge?

I highly doubt it. There really shouldn’t be any pressure in the cartridge.

1 Like

Hey, so it might be the cart but we see these issues with CCell press fit tips. The press fit mainly affects the outside edge of the cap and the inside ring of the cartridge. Oil on either of these surfaces will cause it to slip and pop back up. Ways to mitigate this is to wipe the injection needle between fills to reduce the chances of it touching the sides of the cart. After filling pull the needle directly upwards trying not to hit the sides. Sometimes the cart is filling so fast it does not have time to seep down and builds up in a section along the sides of the cart - try twisting during fill to reduce this effect.

Lastly with carts that have been popping back up, remove the tip and toss. Take a thin q tip or the edge of a paper towel and wipe the insides of the cart. Several passes with new paper to confirm you got the bulk. Press a new tip on. If it pops back up, toss and wipe again. Repeat until they stick, after about 5 tries I would call it but those are pretty rare (~1% of poppers).

Generally this is due to sloppy filling which gets oil all over the press fit surfaces. Reduce that and you are good.

1 Like

I used to think that pressure was an issue but they have a super simple design that mitigates this. You may have noticed several holes in the inner post that don’t seem to really do anything as they get covered by the press fit tip. They’re actually pressure release openings so that as the tip is pressed in, air escapes to release the pressure. If your carts don’t have these then this could be an issue if you don’t fill hot and immediately cap

That sounds like a lot of extra work… a little oil shouldn’t make the top fall off. We all know how much of a bitch it is to push in by hand, not possible sometimes. So a properly pressed tip should not come out no matter what… that space is so tight that any residue that was on there is going to get pushed into the holding area of cartridge

We are using a press to get the tips on. Each one is pressed until there is no gap between the cart and cap. Even with this we are having caps pop off, so I don’t think the press fit is pushing the oil out of the space. I know this for a fact as the press fit caps that pop off have oil around the ring. In a perfect world all caps would press fit fine, but manufacturing tolerances can cause the interference region of the press fit to shrink. The more interference, the tighter the press fit. Since the carts and tips have +/- tolerances, it’s not unreasonable for the two to add up to a less than strong press fit.

I guess it just depends on who you’re sourcing your stuff from… if that’s a serious problem for you then we should talk… because it’s not even a problem on my radar

They’re CCells, not sure where they are sourced from. Not a serious problem, depending on the oil thickness we get maybe 10% poppers. Of those maybe half just need to be pressed again and the other half are remedied using my technique. Our production level is low so it’s not an issue at this point. I will note that when our packager was absent and I filled, we had zero poppers which makes me think he’s just being sloppy lol

1 Like

Terpinerd is totally right, you just saved me to much money thank you :pray:t5::pray:t5::pray:t5:

2 Likes

Hell yeah! Good to hear and good luck with the filling!

1 Like