Preparation of Moroccan hash for distillation

You keep mentioning rotovap, but not once have you said anything about your distillation of the oil. If you do LLE there should be no reason why you would have any water solubles such as “sea salt” make it into your boiling flask for distillation.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response. The distillation is going badly. But now I have managed to identify and resolve the problem. The distillation is going well now.

You still have not said anything about distillation. It is unclear what kind of problem with distillation you have?

1 Like

the problem was that the salt burned in the bottom of the boiling flask. the vacuum increased significantly

Based on what you’ve told/shown so far, it’s not 100% clear you’re actually distilling.

There have been a number folks who arrived here under the misapprehension that removing the ethanol counted as “distillation”.

It doesn’t.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m talking about spd

1 Like

You sure about that ?!?

NaCl has a boiling point listed at almost 1500C

How do you achieve pyrolysis or vaporization of NaCL at temps achievable in a standard lab mantle?

That dart certainly looks like a significant improvement from your stating material.

3 Likes

no, I’m not sure that the problem came from that. It was at the same time as my first distillations. but the salt formed a mass in the bottom of the balloon and disturbed the magnetic stick

“Disturbed my stir bar” make more sense than invoking “sodium chloride vapor lowered my vacuum”.

2 Likes

yes it’s absolutely true! thanks

If you did some water washes there should be absolutely no sodium chloride (salt) left behind.

2 Likes