Potential trim scam

Title says it all. I feel like a potential scam could be happening. I am being offered trim for $45 per lb that looks decent. Can send videos on request. This number seems substantially lower than the numbers I’ve been seeing on this forum and through all my other years hearing about extraction and trim but never being apart of it. Would love to know if this is just something I shouldn’t waste time with.

I’ve seen it that low. In my experience it’s always been outdoor and includes large fan leaves…

It’s crap.

7 Likes

45/LB has been the lowest I’ve seen trim go for, out of Oregon.

2 Likes

The price was in SoCal. If anyone is interested I’ll either post the video here or DM it. (Am new to extraction. Not to cannabis in general)

Whenever i buy trim i take a weighing scale pocket size a small blast tube and 3 cans of 250 ml butane lighter fluid along
Weigh 100 gram pack in tube
Blast with 750 ml butane
Let evaporate hot water if it s around and weigh the resideu oil
I take 50% Total cannabinoid content as avarage of warm extracted oil

10 Likes

I have seen trim go for 5-15$ per pound last year . This year is 25-50 per pound . If your a newb people will sell you processed material its happened to the best of us . Or they will sell you hemp biomass as trim . Lots of scams out there be careful . Best way to check is to squeeze a handful of trim in your hand then look as the resin in your hand if its dry brittle and not sticky its probably processed trim . I have heard of 6 figure losses to buying spent or hemp trim what a horror story . One time it was a all or nothing deal and i was trying to look through every bag and deny a lot of it . My friend was like its all or nothing and we ended up getting burnt through a friend all people care about is $$$$ they get shitty trim its like who’s the next poor basted i can pass this off too

5 Likes

What @Roguelab said and what @Saucyslabz said. I just got a nice solid reminder of “you get what you pay for. I didn’t get scammed, I just kinda fucked myself with some poop outdoor cuz the price was “too good to pass up.” Do what rogue said and open blast, that will def help, but honestly if it isn’t sugary and stinky then I would walk. Lesson recently relearned lol.

Does anyone have any advice on how to differentiate between hemp and thc biomass on site? I was thinking to bring a good magnifying glass and checking out the structure of the trichomes. Thoughts?

4 Likes

This is what the police are using here in the south to tell if both oil in vapes or flower are thc based or cbd based. Reasonably priced as well.

3 Likes

100/lb is average for id, clean, trim.

2 Likes

Likely already processed or straight garbagio

4 Likes

I would Carry along a simplefyd beam test cbd for sure but cbda likely will show puple
I think that if only cbd shows you would have to create a in situ decarboxilation plan Maybe a drop of oil heated on a spoon will sufice
@Photon_noir Whats the simplest beam test for detecting cbda or cbd ?

2 Likes

There were some guys out of calaveras county selling ran trim for 35$ Back in July

Said they had 80,000 pounds.

I later found it it was ran and they were getting for a 1$ and taxing whoever would bite

It’s definitely happening

That’s definitely my biggest thing! I don’t know how to differentiate between hemp biomass and thc trim. So it’s a big gamble it seems

A vail of water with NaOH disolved will show for cbd content

3 Likes

This is the trim I was sent. Just asked how old

Yep… I heard about that last year.

Best thing I can recommend for future deals, and something I use myself is a cheap gas chromatograph. Pretty easy to learn and operate, and a good way to protect a business from a deal going sideways. I like to get a small sample from the farm in question and shoot it in house to get a general idea of cannabinoid content.

1 Like

Get a PurplPro.

1 Like

I take it you have one and like it?

Any chance you could add a review of the device to the In House analytics thread?

2 Likes

Yes, I do. I also own a GemmaCert, and both produce very similar results when testing the same flower, which boosts my confidence in the tech.
The Purplpro is perfect for an extract artist in the respect that they can test their material pre/post run to ensure a: starting quality and b: that they are getting the most out of their biomass by testing their material after extraction.

From what I understand PurplPro will soon be able to test concentrates as well (potency only - no terpenes)…

I’m in Panama, on vacation right now. I will post a thorough review with photos/screenshots when I get back to Canada in a week or so.

I’m a new member here, and I just wanna give a big thanks to yourself and the collective of individuals on here (you know who you are) who seemingly really know their shit, and are willing to share their knowledge and operating experience here for the world to see.
I’ve learned a LOT since stumbling across this site a while ago, and the countless threads/SOPs here have made for a great way to kill time in the sun here when just feeling like being lazy.

This is a great community. Glad I came across it…

3 Likes