Post-processing concepts and maybe we can get some science mixed in ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looks like the photos are on another hard drive or been deleted. Sorry :disappointed:

It always ended up at bright yellow honeycomby crumble.

Iโ€™ll get some work and take some new pictures.

Never quite looked like that picture u just posted tho. It always had a cohesiveness like taffy but was hard.

2 Likes

Purging with no heat did give a more crumble like consistency. Iโ€™d like to see what happens with a lot more whipping.

1 Like

Definitely interested. Still a little concerned about the potential for free water, but if the extract has a sufficient fat:water ratio it might bind it well enough.

1 Like

Maybe the water gets caught up in the matrix and when you purge in the oven in leaves cavitations that look like that when exiting?

Lets try to get that little sci fi explanations involved :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What abeut dayum turpenez? Still there?

1 Like

I could still tell the strain by taste when dabbed, but it seemed a bit muted. Iโ€™d like to do a side by side comparison with the shatter it came from.

1 Like

This is what I think of when you say crumble.

9 Likes

Crumble is too dry for me. I like it terpy

1 Like

@Dred_pirate Are you considering the first one crumble too? Looks like itโ€™s in that taffy phase I was referring to.

That first one is nearly finished. That would be honeycomb crumble, vs the shortcake crumble in my other pic.

3 Likes

Shapes are possible, too

6 Likes

Got a picture?

This is how it would turn out if I whipped water into it when the butane was still in the extract.

See attached for a water activity / shelf life chart. This is for food but I assume it would be similar for extracts.

0.60 for one year shelf life.

2 Likes

The thing about that is water activity isnโ€™t necessarily a quick and straight forward calculation. So, while that is a very useful table it doesnโ€™t help us determine how much water in an extract is safe without specific equipment or very long calculations.

3 Likes

This had hte poured off already. Between batter and sugar is how I would explain this.

Here is the hte from pour off

Did nothing with this batch besides pour into Pyrex, lightly mix/whip one time, let crash for 18-24 hrs and then jarred to finish crash/separation.

That looks apple sauce bub

Whatever you want to call it :man_shrugging:

Are you whipping these until nearly finished and then pouring into cookies on this sheet? They look great nice work. Can you comment on the differences in heat, vac, and agitation to produce such consistent textures? Was the difference in Honeycomb vs shortcake performed with tech or purely dependent on the ratio of terpenes in the initial extract?