Possible to run 200 ml in 2l spd?

I looked up all topics on this, and most had recommendations for minimum amounts of crude to use in a spd… but couldn’t exactly find an answer to this specific one… I did a small etho extract to test some trim. Now wondering if I can run the 200ml of crude in a 2l spd? Or is it completely pointless. And if I can do it, any parameters to follow? Obviously it will hit set temps a lot faster. Ideas? I usually get 50% disty from crude so I can guess. But I’d like to actually see what the test yields in the end

If you’re using a thermometer inside the flask that might not be enough material to make contact… kinda sketchy…

Yea it has a standard temp probe. That was my fear that it wouldn’t be able to read the temp and just fry my crude. I would
Just love to see exactly how much disty would come out of it. Thanks for the advice

200ml aprox 125ml mains

As it happens, @Beaker left behind just the tool for the job…

2 Likes

Crude temp isn’t really necessary. Lot’s of folks here don’t even bother putting a probe in there and solely rely on mantle temp and head temp. I only measure it because I like having that extra data point.

1 Like

But doesn’t the mantle temp come from probe readings? If the probe doesn’t have enough contact wouldn’t it just be reading the vacuumed empty space and just keep raising the temp?

I use a mantle with an internal sensor, but you don’t want your mantle to be taking a reading from inside the flask anyway. If you’re using a mantle with an external sensor, you need to put a sensor probe between the glass and the mantle for a proper accurate reading. Trying to run your mantle from inside the flask is a good way to burn your material and burn out your mantle no matter how full the bf is.

@spdking disagrees but he’s known for that

2 Likes

Hmmm. For a mantle that comes with the probe setup and port, is there a way to convert they probe or strip it down to place the wires or anything in between the flask and mantle?

Everybody I have seen doing the SPD is regulating their mantle from the probe inside the flask solution…
They use 2 thermometers, one for the content of the flask and other for the head (I never understood this last one and I would like someone explain this to me )
I would like that what you say were right as lees necks on the flask means less possible leaks to control at the end