Plugging bottom of dry ice sleeve for slurry

So I have a solvent tank that’s got a dry ice sleeve, it’s got a 1/2” port on the bottom. I want to put a valve on it so I can fill the whole thing with either acetone or iso slurry. But I’m concerned that it will leak. That stuff would eat right through the PTFE tape I assume?

No. PTFE is safe for those solvents. Put a valve on it and you’re good to go.

3 Likes

Is there liquid that will work in a dry ice slurry that isn’t flammable?

2 Likes

You scared bro?

5 Likes

I ran 100% antifreeze because I didn’t like the fumes from isopropyl. Since I’ve got an overkill ventilation system now I’m going to try iso again. The antifreeze freezes around -80 as opposed to tuning into a slurry of sorts. Hoping to avoid frozen blocks around my coils

4 Likes

Have you tried lighting -80 ethanol in a CO2 atmosphere?

6 Likes

It’s basically impossible

7 Likes

Yeah I’ve always liked antifreeze at the -40 range was wondering if any standard liquids exist that can get colder that aren’t million dollars a gallon stuff that hubers use for slurries etc

1 Like

Yes

Every since a guy the next town over from me started a fire with a chiller that was pumping ethanol

I remember this dude … can’t remember his name, but he was a super nice dude. I thought the explosion came from a spark from a rotovape, not ethanol in the chiller. Dude was making a shit ton of crude at the time!

1 Like

they had an old school chiller like precision first sold with an open bath. someone threw a chunk of dry ice in it and ethanol bubbled over and lit off the circuitry

1 Like