Plants to grow in beds to help loosen/ improve soil?

Got some “loam” with some plants in it that’s pretty shitty ( Clayish and hard ) . I used the same company I’ve been using last couple year because there cheap . The soil in the previous beds that were made a year or two ago with the same company’s crappy loam ( not sure if it was quite as crappy as this year tho) have improved drastically and the soil has a really good consistency now . I’m assuming the old cannabis roots helped soften it up along with the compost I added to the top layer . But I’m also wondering if some of the weeds that I let grow at the end and beginning of each year ( they get huge) help as well . I feel like not only do they soften the soil but the dead decaying roots help the soil as well . Obviously I cant let normal weeds grow while my cannabis plants are growing but maybe some “ weeds” or plants can be grown at the same time as my cannabis plants ? I’ve heard of certain plants that can be good to grow with cannabis but the sources where I get this info are always vague and from a barely trustworthy source at best . Any input on how I can improve the soil in my new beds while my cannabis plants are growing in them ? Thanks :pray:

3 Likes

ill add to learn= Im doing my lawn and gypsum seems to be a product used to loosen soil? my lawn soil is horrible

Was thinking more along the lines of other pants to grow

I have actually seen this advice for lawn= ignore the dandelion, its there due to nature deciding that your soil is too compact? I dont agree because i neglected my lawn for years and it only got worse. I did a dose of weed killer= the whole lawn was a weed. So now I dont have to mow. I had a nutsedge lawn

1 Like

Cannabis does not like competition in the root zone. Cover crops are a great idea, but should be grown in the off season. Daikon radish is great for breaking up clay. There is a brand name of it I like called groundhog radish.

5 Likes

I tried build a soild companion crop thing and didnt like it because i couldnt see the soil.

I spread gypsum and grow Russian Comfrey (the non-invasive kind) everywhere that I have problem spots on the property. After a year, I dig up the roots, making sure to get every bit of root. The green tops are chopped and mixed in the hole. Next year, everything that grows there is lush and yields really well.

2 Likes