Pizza is my favorite food! Heres how i do it!

Good job there but I would suggest stop using bromated flours
Potassium bromate is a carcinogen and its banned in Europe
Im also passionate about pizzas, i make neopolitan style mostly

3 Likes

I use caputo nuvola super high protein and it can go up to 75 % hydration easy
I tried 80% before but it was a little too much to handle and not a big difference from 70-75

1 Like

Is there a specific type of olive oil you suggest?

1 Like

Anyone happen to have a good gluten free recipe?

2 Likes

i just use costco normal olive oil not the organic one. If you go to costco, you will notice the normal olive oil is more expensive than the organic. I was like WTFā€¦ Then you look at the sourcesā€¦ the normal is 100% italian Olive oil the organic is Olive oil from italy, spain, greece, etc and mixed.

i wouldnt even know where to start as the most important aspect of pizza dough making is creating a strong gluten structure. Ive been trying to even supplement my high gluten dough with more wheat gluten like @pdxcanna. i imagine gluten free dough is super hard to stretch

2 Likes

For some celiacs - myself included - the fermentation process that sourdough goes through denatures the gluten proteins enough that your body doesnā€™t recognize them and thus doesnā€™t cause celiac symptoms.

Make sure to only use glutenous flour during the initial build - switch to rice flour or outer gluten free blends when dusting your working surfaces for kneading etc.

Iā€™ve never found any good GF bread or pizza dough recipes. Iā€™ve found a few acceptable ones, but gluten is magic pixie dust for baking and xanthan gum is not a great substitute.

8 Likes

We buy the Oggi Margherita pre-made pies from Costco and dress em up. Def one of the best GF crusts out there.

4 Likes

The other ones you can get at costco in the green boxes are pretty ok, but these Oggi ones are heckin awesome, even if you donā€™t toss more stuff on them.

My partner hates most GF stuff and she will actually eat these, because the texture isnā€™t gritty like other GF pizzas. I never should have convinced her to try one. Now I get less pizza for me :frowning:

I usually have at least one of them in the freezer. If costco ever puts them on sale Iā€™ll probably stock up.

If I could make crusts that are as good as these I might get back into baking.

7 Likes

Looks like theyā€™re mostly rice flour, Iā€™ve been meaning to play with that for frying chicken

4 Likes

Depending on the texture youā€™re going for, chickpea flour can be really good for fried chicken or other meat snacks, fried onions, etc. Itā€™s my first choice for most things that are going to go into the deep fryer.

If you do it really thin it can be almost tempura-like, though I prefer my batters to have a bit more body to them.

Masa / corn flour can be good if you get it right but I seem to remember it took a few more tries to get a good result than chickpea flour did.

3 Likes

thanks for sharing! Between living in pizza deserts and inflation, Iā€™ve stepped up my diy pizza over the years and make a couple a week.

My water:flour ratio is close to yours but my olive oil, sugar and salt was a lot lower. Changed to your olive oil & sugar %'s, almost all of the salt, and mixed 4 doughs in stand mixer targeting 440 g/dough. (First dissolved sugar in lukewarm water, added yeast and let bloom a little before salt, OO, flour.)

Will freeze a couple of the doughs, and used a couple tonight after 4hrs ā€“ had an easier time stretching dough out for the crust than I usually do with my lower OO/sugar recipe (tossing for thin crust just seems precarious to meā€¦).

Cheese is Walmart mozzarella (226g) and parmesan (40g). The sauce, my wife makes in huge batches in a bayou classic. We freeze it in ziplocs (soon to be deli cups) with enough for two pizzas & a little for dippingā€“thaw in bowl of hot water, magic bullet. Crust stretched out onto an old, cooked over pizza pan with holes and prebaked at 500F for 2:40. Sauce cheese toppings added & cooked at 500F for 10 min. Voila !

9 Likes

Yeah just eat a Ritz cracker

1 Like

This thread is making me want a pizza oven. Shit all looks fire

5 Likes

Just use your kitchen oven and get a pizza steel. UNLESS you really only like Neapolitan style pizza. Ny style pizza can easily be make with any oven capable of 500f.

I had an ooni on my Christmas list this year till I realized I only really like NY style pizza which can easily be made in an oven. After doing this for 6 months. I wonā€™t buy an ooni now.

2 Likes

I was gonna go ooni for the 1000f but my house oven is badass. And NY syle with half flop is my favorite. My homies love them tho, I canā€™t justify another fucking device on the back patio. Smoker & Grill won that. The steel plate is the difference maker @Killa12345 explained when I was following his pizza posts

1 Like

I have both a pizza steel and cordirite pizza stone too.

The pizza steel is a game changer. Pizza stone made good pizza. Pizza steel makes world class pizza.

I like no flop almost like a cracker like bottom. I preheat my oven to 525F for an hour. Then while Iā€™m preparing my pizza. I turn it to broil on 525f.

I throw my pizza in on broil for 3min. Then I turn it back to bake at 525 and cook it for another 6-7 mins and itā€™s perfectly well done pizza. Once you start making your own pizza. You will never have another pizza overcooked or undercooked because you control it and can make it perfect. Youā€™re not in a rush to get out an order.

Also, this might help others but a lot of ovens have a calibration mode and over temp mode which you can actually turn some ovens up to 600F. I find 525-500 makes the perfect pizza and havenā€™t had to explore that yet.

5 Likes

If you live in the southeast, add this to the dough and it makes the crust amazing. Sold at publix.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll try that on some garlic knots but Iā€™m sorta a pizza purist. I really just like good NY style pizza. Nothing fancy. Just the best ingredients and it really canā€™t go wrong.

3 Likes

Be a pizza hedonist
Try it once

4 Likes

I prefer to drink my Potassium Bromate in Mtn Dew!

2 Likes