Pink THCa?

Anyone notice the pinkish to purplish hue of the THCA on the left? My theory is the THCa converted to ____ cannabinoid. Anyone know what that cannabinoid could be?

Most of it was a golden yellow but some of it looks that pinkish/purplish hue. The only solvent used was Butane.

1 Like

I’d assume an oxidation reaction?
Has it been sitting out in the air?
Did your store under nitrogen or an inert gas?

4 Likes

4 Likes

I believe it due to latent ph oxidation. Lower ph value

5 Likes

I’ve seen this on mechanically separated THCa. It’s hard to see in this picture but it was undoubtably pink. I’ll see if I have a better picture. This flower had no purple on it whatsoever so I didn’t think it was anthocyanin. I’ve pressed anthocyanin into isolate before and it was clearly purple. This one batch in the picture above was very distinctly pink. It’s been a mystery to me to this day and it’s never happened again

2 Likes

It happened from fresh material after processing. I’ve seen what the sun can do to THCa. Anywhere from orange to red and pinkish hues from oxidation and UV degradation I’d assume.

I’m thinking possible ph reaction?

it’s got impurities in/on it for sure. what method/speed for growth?

I also believe this to be the case as well.

From what I’ve experienced it can happen from high heat exposure as well

Can’t say the method. I can say it was exposed to heat for a long period of time

1 Like

Some breaking bad shit right there :drooling_face:

That’s what I’m thinking too. @Purityisolation any adsorbents used?

1 Like

No absorbents used, just a plain bho blast

1 Like

I think it’s some cannabinoid not tested possibly? From conversion of some type? Ph or decarboxylation?

1 Like

have you rinsed it post crystallization?
solvent cold enough to only dissolve surface impurities will let you know if it’s surface oxidizing or contamination inclusions in your crystals.

1 Like

I have made pink a few times, havent done purple or blue yet

2 Likes

No rinsing post crystallization

1 Like

My partner says he’s read up on different acids that can manipulate the ph of THCa to make it blue. Trying to play off the breaking bad series but I don’t condone adding any secondary constituents to our products.

For blue and purple i believe you would need to raise the ph up, will take more to go up than down i believe

Nice! When you remove all the yellow, thca will turn pink overtime. I have a few large pink monocrystals from some old experiments. The pink could be the same oxidation we see with distillate, maybe. The pink sit next to some slightly yellow contaminated crystals which Started clear but turned yellow over time. No clue what is causing this

2 Likes

So how would you make blue thca?

2 Likes