Piecing together a rotovap oof!

USALabs has ptfe ones for cheap

3 Likes

@Xtractek I got this little guy in a lot of rotovap part seems relatively unused but when you turn it on the motor whirred but no movement. Any ideas before I hack it open blindly? Google comes up with basically zilch on this when I search “buchi roty-s”.

I’ve worked with almost all of the buchi models, but have never touched one of those. Sorry bud

1 Like

Thanks for the response probably gonna pull it apart next couple days and see what I can see

Post pics when you do.

I sure will, hopefully I don’t fuck it up would be nice to have a spare around, plus this one can just hook up to any old lab stand which I find dope.

1 Like

Look for a loose connection to the circuit board.

1 Like

I will for sure, this unit is weird it has no adjustment knob just an on off switch. When you switch it on the motor is making noise just no movement. I think it might be mechanical.

Here is another DIY roto just for fun!

2 Likes

Here we go I removed the two screws pictured, pulled the motor out it has a “cork screw” type gear which runs a gear that turns the shaft. Super basic design. Nothing was noticeably wrong so I put it back together tested again and it works! I’m guessing it was slightly misaligned. I think it would be cool to get something custom made so it could hook up to a standard condenser and maybe try a variac for speed control.

2 Likes