PhytoFacts laughable

Wanted to see if anyone else got a laugh out of this testing lab’s newest “offer” for clients, PhytoFacts…

“The system’s algorithm incorporates objective and subjective data points related to organoleptic characterization combined with data culled from scientific publications related to psychological and physiological effects of cannabinoids, terpenoids and cannabinoid-terpenoid combinations. By integrating PhytoFacts into their testing reports, Trichome Analytical will educate cultivators and—by extension—consumers about how to use the intuitive data visualizations and experiential insights across the complete chemical profile of cannabis flowers and concentrates”

All of that nonsense translates to 2 new graphics on the COA, one showing the aroma profile which my god isn’t news article worthy, and the other showing the entourage effects ranging from Energy, Focus, Inspiration, Relaxation, Comfort, and Calm.

First of all, three of those entourage effects are essentially the same, second of all they’re trying to roll out an entourage effect calculator in a hilarious style, only bested by Columbia Care’s Forage | A Cannabis Discovery Tool which offers the desired cannabis effects of Aroused/Looking to Hook Up.

4 Likes

Reminds me of that dude in the cannabis documentary The Magic Plant who claims you can determine what kind of high you will recieve based on the smell of the flower lol… sounds like he might be onto something.

He used all of the same descriptive states.

3 Likes

I don’t personally see a ton of value in the PhytoFacts feature, but Trichome Analytical has always done great work for me. They have excellent equipment and facilities, and their analytical team has the kind of attention to detail that most analytical labs seems to lack.

4 Likes

Didn’t mean to sound as hate toward Trichome, only the wording in that provided quote. I’m a firm believer of everybody is different and reacts differently with cannabis and to try to claim a flower with a certain terpene will make me feel inspired, imo is a lot.

1 Like

After a brief digging of my own though, this eyeworm account seems to be a Trichome affiliated account. Props for the honest opinion

right on. I just wanted to clarify that they’re good at the analytical part of things - I agree that it feels a little gimmicky, especially “how it feels” is totally subjective and not really a quantifiable metric.

Still decidedly better/more conservative than Columbia Care’s :joy:

2 Likes

I’m not affiliated with them at all and get zero benefit from plugging them as a competent lab. I have on multiple occasions given them props for doing really good work for me. I’ve had their head chemist take time out of his day on multiple occasions to correspond and double check results and send additional chromatographic data that I found helpful in my research. They’re a fine lab.

1 Like

I only assumed because someone from Trichome actually DM’d me and then 2 hours later you happened to comment on the post in their defense. Coincidentally, the person who DM’d has only ever liked 4 posts and 2 of them are from you, one from 2021 and one from yesterday.

I see - that’s reasonable. Well, in this case it is a coincidence. I certainly have an amicable relationship with their management just through the course of sending them kind of unique samples on a semi regular basis - but by no means am I a stakeholder or employee of theirs. My lab is something like 1100 miles away, but because I’m from NJ I keep loose tabs on NJ cannabis news - they’ve been pretty public and vocal on linkedin and various outlets over the past few years.

1 Like

I won’t believe you can predict strain effects from the terpene profile until I see someone actually double blind it. IMO, people go to the dispensary, ask “give me one that’s perky” or “give me one that’s relaxing”, and they think that’s what’s going to happen and so they end up experiencing that. It’s just set and setting and autosuggestion.

Not saying there is NO difference, but I believe the power of expectations is stronger than the power of entourage.

FFS, people label gummies “indica” or “sativa”, made from distillate with no terpenes at all, and the average customer still thinks they’re getting those characteristic effects.

6 Likes