Phase separating papers

Anyone ever played with phase separating filter papers? I have literally zero experience with them or their applications, but if they work how they say they do I could see them being useful for LLE.

Like you mean using hydrophilic/lipophilic fiber filter membranes for breaking emulsion layers up?

yeah, just getting rid of the sep funnel in favor of something less fragile and not needing to let your layers separate to cut out some time/breakage

In my other life, I found that keyed papers only really work for specific things. I suppose if you had one that was specific to what you were trying to remove it would work. I used to separate different kinds of alcohols - and I’d need a completely different filter membrane for each type. Much easier to do distillation or elution chromatography for me back in the day. Maybe they have really cool ones for weed now? :smiley: I’d sure like to know about them.

got distracted. something like this would be an example: Phase Separating Paper / Grade 480 | Sartorius

Wow. That looks awesome. I feel like the volume it would collect would be so much less than what I am pulling off using a sep funnel… perhaps you have to use many of them? Or maybe each paper is specific?

Usually my layers are pretty big - like 20-30% that needs to be removed. It seems like these would be for post-sep funnel, although they say they replace them.

Now I want to go try it out. :smiley: Thank you @cosolvent <3

2 Likes