Ph oxidation prevention

At a conference in Oakland last week a manufacturer of mechanical distillation apparatuses told me that their machine rendered distillate immune to oxidation by setting a specific ph of the product. They wouldn’t share what that number is so I’m seeking the answer here…has anyone been successful with oxidation prevention through ph manipulation? I have tried high, low and neutral ph with no perceived change.

Sounds like a bunch of baloney to me.

5 Likes

So how are they setting the ph? Basic chemistry has to come into play somewhere to adjust ph, it can’t be done by turning a knob.

As far as oxidation goes, I think that’s a function of the contents of the distillate itself regardless of ph. Ph can definitely have an impact on isomerization though. But that’s apples and oranges.

2 Likes

So then perhaps it would have been more accurate if they had claimed that their apparatus cut the fractions with such precision that oxidation was significantly delayed…?

IME the less heads and tails contaminating the body of a pass the longer it takes to develop the red layer on the surface of the distillate…

The only time my ph is manipulated intentionally is during acid/base brine washes and is always neutralized with neutral brine washes at the end…

It sounded like a sales pitch to me but I am always inquisitive when someone claims their machines are magical and I had to ask the community…

The red layer has consistently plagued my product and I’m open to any input on how to prevent it.

1 Like

Have you ever looked at the Red ring of death thread? It seems to be an oxidation issue…

2 Likes

That looks like some pretty thorough washing to me. There seems to be some debate within the community here whether or not the color is from oxidation of cannabinoids themselves, or oxidation of some contaminant. The answer could be a little of both.

I have heard rumors of distillate preparations that do not oxidize, but I have never seen this in person myself so I remain skeptical. I have made 97% cannabinoid product with wiped film that still had an oxidation layer (this product was not saline washed however).

I don’t really see the purpose of striving to obtain something that doesn’t have an oxidation layer if you have a product that is over 95% pure of target compounds. Is it just for the custy distributors trying to knock points of the price per kilo? Most distributors drive me up the wall…

3 Likes

No but I shall check it out. Thanks for the suggestion

You nailed it. Distributors complaints are the loudest