Ph.D Chemical Engineer w/ 3.5yrs cannabis R&D experience

Hi folks! I’m looking for work.

My previous company, Hemp Harvest Innovations, shut its doors at the end of 2021. There, I led R&D since 2019. I could have continued working with a nu-HHI entity. But, without guaranteed salary, I’m taking the chance to look for new opportunities.

I am most attracted to working with established teams that are successfully monetizing applied research. In cannabis, or elsewhere.

Please check my portfolio site for info on my academic career and, more recently, my experience in cannabis:

2022-01-11 resume.pdf (87.7 KB)

Closing a chapter, I want to thank everyone on the forum for their contributions which continues to expand my view of the industry. Furthermore I am especially grateful for those who appreciated my contributions on oil (lipid) infusions–a process I still strongly believe in and am happy to consult on.

17 Likes

Reading your CV…

Ever thought to use Faraday Waves with Oswald ripening to quick crash diamonds?

7 Likes

awesome! neat idea to think about there.

The thought crossed my mind before when seeing discussions here on ‘sonocrystallization’ and ‘cymatics.’ I never took the chance to prove anything out and I have only worked casually with crystallization so take what I say below with a grain of salt.

My work on Faraday waves was very fundamental. Yet there has been work within the past 10-20 years that points to how they can be applied technologically. I divide the potential applications into two categories: (1) breaking Faraday waves, e.g. for nebulizers & making fogs/mists and (2) deposition of particles in regular patterns on substrates. I think the particle deposition application might be most relevant to crystallization. Here’s a neat image from a paper using Faraday waves for ‘acoustic node bioassembly’ :

Effectively, one could excite (vertically shake) a liquid layer with a free surface to form resonant standing waves (Faraday waves). Any particles in the layer will then migrate to the ‘nodes’ of the standing wave–the positions where the local wave height is changing the least (if at all).

The benefit of Faraday waves may then be that you can adjust frequency over several orders of magnitude to effectively control the amplitudes/wavelengths/patterns of the flow, and, hopefully, growth rate and crystal size. In contrast, it seems to me that with sonocrystallization one will necessarily make finer crystals since you are relying on cavitation and ultrasonics (?)

p.s. kudos for being the first to type ‘Faraday waves’ on this site !?!?

11 Likes

Woof, how did white buffalo hemp co do?

I saw some rather hilarious videos taken by one of the techs there.

2 Likes

yes! that was a heck of an introduction for me to the ‘real world.’ Can’t say I made perfect decisions the 6-7 months I was with them but I like to think that I did the best I could with the resources I had. That video was the tip of the iceberg.

1 Like

After I left they grabbed a ‘legit’ facility in Louisville CO and began filling it with equipment but never got it off the ground. Within the past year they sold (?) it to a new outfit called Green Baron Hemp–they contacted me and said they were going to strike it big (in 2021??) making loads of crude lol

1 Like

I was knee deep in the hemp shit that summer as well.

Thankfully I am now entering cannabis rec and boyeeee Lol this isn’t nam smokey, there are rules!

5 Likes

moving to Butte, Montana! Accepted a position with Resodyn Corporation. Project is to apply their equipment (which kicks butt) to reaction & crystallization. @anon64373531 you were on to something!

10 Likes

Best of luck to you @batsona!

1 Like

E4 in Detroit is looking for a phd for a director position

1 Like

Got a link for that position @standardoil ?

2 Likes

Pity it’s an analytical lab.

Yes, this is an analytical testing compliance laboratory.

https://evoportalus.tracker-rms.com/E4Bioscience/MyLite?id=1003

My doctorate is analytical, and I have some testing experience for cannabinoids (waaay back in 2011), but I don’t have the experience I’d want to do that job. Best of luck though.

1 Like