Peristaltic pump as an ethanol recovery pump?

Theoretically if someone did a closed loop extraction but with etoh on a nitro-assist they could use a peristaltic pump as a recovery pump as long as they had a dephlegmator/condenser and a recovery tank right?.

Like jacketed base>cold condenser >peristaltic pump and then recovery pot that would work right?

Would it speed things up at all?

Edit : would you be able to use a peristaltic pump to extract with frozen etoh?

What flow rate would you need?

Idk jw cause I’m bored

From what I’ve gathered it is possible. But you’d need a tube that would stay flexible at low temp, and if you’re pulling out of a vacuum it isn’t as effective if the vac depth is too deep.

1 Like

A diaphragm pump would likely work better.

I’ve used both the TRS21 & CMEPOL (piston based) pumps for this.

3 Likes

Agreed. Peristaltic pumps stop being convenient about lab scale.

They’re useful for small scale homebrew type stuff.

You’ll have trouble finding tubing that will last at cryo temperatures.

3 Likes

I was thinking the methanol pump from the frozen alcohol pump thread could work well.

1 Like

that is a gear pump.
pretty sure they don’t like running dry for any length of time.

sucking on a still is probably best done with a diaphragm pump, which doesn’t give a damn what it’s sucking on (vapor vs liquid).

a gear pump might handle post condenser duty. A diaphragm pump could go between the boiler and the condenser OR post condenser.

1 Like

the all knowing one offers https://www.randolphaustin.com/large-fluid-peristaltic-pump/ when asked about “large peristaltic pumps”.

1 Like

Aro air operated diaphragmpump gonna be put to the test here soon. Holds pressure. Seems legit. @downtheterphole suggests it won’t suck hard enough

Air Operated Diaphragm Pumps, AODD Pump | ARO Fluid Handling

2 Likes

So let’s say someone made a falling film. On the ethanol recovery side, could someone use one of those methanol pumps to pump the ethanol from the condenser of the FFE to a centrifuge that’s kept at -40° with fresh material.

1 Like