Pentane vs. Pentanol for CBD isolate

Hey guys,

I am new to CBD isolate and was looking to purchase pentane from VRW. I see that there are multiple different types and wondering how this effects the process? Is pentane 98% better to use than say pentanol? etc.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

You should look up what the difference of the two are and take a guess.

I’ll give you a hint though… alcohols do not work well for making isolate.

Also due to your original question i would urge you to avoid pentane altogether and look into heptane as its safer to use, Doesnt require c1d1 and wont evaporate into your room and cause an explosion AS easily, It has a large Delta T which will provide a better precipitation of your isolate and lastly its also a lot cheaper.

I’m not trying to insult you but please do a little more research or reading before playing with these solvents as the question you asked throws up some big flags about your lack of basic organic chemistry knowledge. Hydrocarbons are a lot less forgiving than the alcohols im guessing you are using to extract with.

5 Likes

Thanks! I am equipped with a C1D1 booth, nutsche filter/dryer, vacuum and have looked into the process. I was thrown for a loop when someone else suggested the use of pentanol and clarifying. The difference is the -OH group between the two.

Heptane is a better solvent but harder to rid the product of with the higher boiling point. As this is a commercial product and large batch size my employer wants to use Pentane.

As stated above, I am new to the process and have been researching. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Have you ran isolate with both heptane and pentane? Yes in theory the pentane should evaporate quicker but in my experience (running 50kg sized batches) they both purge at about the same time and out of hexane heptane and pentane, pentane has always left me with a higher residual solvent level than the other two. Never have I received a 0ppm on isolate and it seems theres always 30-50ppm of residual left. I suggest heptane again because its cheaper, safer and purges just fine but best of all you will have better results overall.

2 Likes

As i said before look up more about pentanol and your answer would have been answered right away. its not just the -OH group difference just look at its boiling point for another reason its a horrible choice. Whoever suggested that should probably stop giving any advice. with a boiling point thats 102c above pentane its a clear NO for this process.

Someone didn’t use the search bar :thinking:

There’s a few teks in there

1 Like

OTJ is the best training you could ask for. How long, for a diesel mechanic, who jumps into extraction, receives on the job training and an account on FUTURE, work before earning 100K a year?