Pentane recrystallization

Do you leave you jar at room temp during the crystallization process?

1 Like

Yes. Room temp being 60-80 degrees at times

2 Likes

And when you mean crack the ball jar lid, how loose exactly is that.
Do you mean like tighten the lid. And then back the lid off 1/8 a turn, 1/4?
When i do that i notice the lid still seals and nothing evaporates.

3 Likes

Wow, very nice! :open_mouth:

Ty for the tek.

25 Likes

Has anyone tried recrystallization with isopentane? It has a lower boiling point about 28C or 82F, so should process quicker without adding heat. Just a thought.

5 Likes

the best way to get really really large crystals is simple.

heat solvent till just under boiling.

then dissolve substance into solvent until there is precipitate on the bottom use stirring to make
sure no more will dissolve.

while hot filter solution.

then put flask with solution with substance that has been filtered hot on a temp set hotplate
or heating mantle or oil bath.

let the temp drop 1 degree per hour.

DO NOT BUMP OR LET ANY VIBRATIONS HIT THE FLASK

use a sand box if you have to many vibrations from the road etc to stop vibrations.

make sure there is no air moving over the top of the solution.

simple now make me some shard bitch :slight_smile:

there is also a way with dual solvent crystallization but im not going into that now.

23 Likes

Have you tried this with THCa? Sounds like it would work great but that rate is much faster than most other methods for crystalization. I would be thrilled to find out that you can get some big rocks in that kind of time period

2 Likes

nope but have used it for organic acids and amine salts.

if its too fast then just slow down the time for the temp drop.

the slower the drop in temperature from a saturated solution the bigger the crystals.

7 Likes

Iā€™m going to try this with heptane sometime soon and let you know how it goes. Sounds very easily tunable

1 Like

thanks , what is ht and hc

How many grams was this originally and after recrash?

Ya i didnt do any of that and got boulders. This process should be done NOWHERE near a hotplate. Horrible advice. And pentane boils at 96f. I had a lid blow off just in a hot water bath (left for only 5 min at 97)

17 Likes

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Awesome results. So what was the magic mason jar lid tightness that worked?

1 Like

I just had it tight. I didnt follow any method posted on this forum. Basically just go slow is all i can say. Slower is bigger. I could have easily gotten these bigger but wanted to take them out faster so thats what it was

5 Likes

Thanks! What size mason jar?

I used a large one with corners

2 Likes

its the process that is taught in university organic chemistry please forgive my education.
of course you had a lid blow off why would you put a lid on a solvent at the temperature.

when dealing with these substances you should be using the right kind of hotplates otherwise
you get sparks from the thermostate.

nice crystals purity will more often and not give larger crystals.

7 Likes

Please link me to a c1d1 hot plate? My facilty has been looking for years. Oh wait. They dont exist.

Do it your way and you will get sugar for sure. Pentane evaps fast. Especially if its hot.

6 Likes