Pentane LLE

With enough solvent, can I use room temp pentane as my non polar in a LLE or would I need to do the process warm to properly soak up thc?

What is your other solvent on the LLE ?
Room temps should be fine in Well ventilated area
Unless chloroform is th other solvent

5 Likes

Methanol and water

3 Likes

room temp should be fine. Whats the temp in your room?

1 Like

65 f is my room temp

yeah, should be good. If your concerned with getting all the thc you can wash a small second volume of pentane.

2 Likes

@Apothecary36 How much pentane per gram of concentrate did you end up using? I’m considering using 2ml:1g as described in Beaker’s thread when he was using hexane, but I’m not sure if that’s adequate with pentane.

I never recieved my pentane order

Aw, bummer. Well, I’ll be the guinea pig for this and let you know. :+1:

3 Likes

LLE with 80ml of extract to 200ml of pentane worked great. Removed the vast majority of terpenes and barely affected my final yield. Solvent reclaim and purge was also a breeze. Thanks for the info @Beaker

8 Likes

Did you notice any gums or scums also get pulled out in the aqeous layer? My starting compound is full of that stuff prior to winterization/filtration but the LLE sure pulls a lot out.

6 Likes

Some in the first pull. The water had a slick texture between the fingers, but I’m not sure if that was the terpenes or what. Likely gums now that you mention it.

3 Likes

pentane and crude correct? the cannabinoids move to the pentane and the junk stays behind?

4 Likes

this was my experiment, pentane/ water/methanol with ph swings. I would like to find away to remove color via lle. its definitely lightened up, but i think color can still be refined.

3 Likes

We actually have a 500 post thread on LLE and pretty much everyone agreed pentane was the worst polar solvent to use because it doesnt like to grab cannabinoids like heptane or hexane.

9 Likes

Dissolve your crude in methanol, winterize. After you filter it wash your methanol with heptane till the heptane comes out clear. The heptane will pull the cannabinoids from the methanol while the non polar chloraphyll mostly stays in the methanol. I do not recommend using any water as any polar solvent holds a few ppms of water and from my experience that water will have red chloraphyll in it

10 Likes

i agree, i also never tried it my self. so i wanted to be sure the that the rine was trutly worth the squeeze or not.

when you wunterize in methanol do you do this at room temp or do you freeze overnight? my freezer only goes down to -30c

1 Like

Go overnight in the freezer you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Freezer rated for flammable solvents?

You could leave in dry ice overnight and probably get better results, eh?

2 Likes